Hypersonic Plane Fails Mach 6 AttemptAugust 17th, 2012 - 9:31 pm ICT by Aishwarya Bhatt
New York, Aug 17 (THAINDIAN NEWS) An experimental aircraft turns out to be a disappointment and failure as well.
The X-51A Wave rider which is believed to fly six times as fast as the speed of sound faced a tragedy when it crumbled down in the Pacific Ocean. It fell near the US military test flight venue. The reason behind its failure was that it was not appropriately controlled thus leading to the lost of its destination after separating itself from the jet booster. It is regarded as one of the most hypersonic flights and this was one of its testing.
It is designed in a way that it would reach Mach 6 which is an estimation of 3600 mph. Engineers who were behind its success are hoping that it will be able to maintain its top speed for an estimation of five minutes. This is a capability that is rated twice as that of an X-51A.
The air force is the one who is behind its maintenance and they said that on Tuesday, it failed because a poor control led to the prevention of exotic scramjet engine thus leading to its lost. They however, did not understand why the failure had to happen so abruptly considering that they had set the correct way of ignition.
- Unmanned US hypersonic craft fails - Aug 16, 2012
- Pioneering American Jet Demolishes Earlier Hypersonic Flight Record And Establishes A New Record - May 28, 2010
- US Army's 'WaveRider' can fly more than 6 times faster than speed of sound - May 01, 2009
- Hypersonic jets that fly at five times the speed of sound - Nov 05, 2010
- Jet Breaks Hypersonic Record: X 51A Waverider Reaches Mach 6 Speed - May 28, 2010
- US jet shatters hypersonic flight record - May 28, 2010
- Joint Russia-India missile to be ready by 2017 - Jun 28, 2012
- India tests advanced sounding rocket successfully - Mar 04, 2010
- US's hypersonic Falcon missile test a dud? - Apr 27, 2010
- NASA's Ares I-X rocket successfully completes flight test - Oct 29, 2009
Tags: air force, capability, disappointment, estimation, experimental aircraft, failure, five minutes, flights, fly, military test, pacific ocean, prevention, scramjet engine, six times, speed of sound, test flight, top speed, tragedy, wave rider