Hurricane watch issued for northeastern Mexico, Texas coasts as Tropical Storm Hermine strengthensSeptember 6th, 2010 - 9:59 pm ICT by BNO News
MIAMI (BNO NEWS) — Newly-formed Tropical Storm Hermine will likely reach hurricane status in the next hours before hitting the coast of northeastern Mexico and southern Texas on Monday night, meteorologists said, prompting a hurricane watch for the area.
As of 11 a.m. EDT (1500 UTC), Hermine was located about 130 miles (210 kilometers) east-southeast of La Pesca, a small town in the Mexican state of Tamaulipas. The storm is moving toward the north-northwest at 13 miles (20 kilometer) per hour.
“The center of Hermine is expected to approach the coast of northeastern Mexico or extreme southern Texas in the warning area” on Monday night, said the U.S. National Hurricane Center.
Hermine’s maximum sustained winds increased to near 50 miles (85 kilometers) per hour, with higher gusts. “Additional strengthening is forecast and Hermine could approach hurricane strength prior landfall,” the Miami-based center added.
The government of Mexico issued a hurricane watch from Rio San Fernando northward to the mouth of the Rio Grande. Additionally, a hurricane watch has been issued from the mouth of the Rio Grande northward to Baffin Bay, Texas.
- Tropical storm Hermine forms, expected to make landfall on U.S.-Mexico coast - Sep 06, 2010
- Tropical storm Hermine forms, warning issued for south Texas - Sep 06, 2010
- Hurricane Alex gathers strength off northeast Mexico's coast - Jul 01, 2010
- Hurricane warning issued for Texas, Mexico as tropical storm Alex nears - Jun 29, 2010
- Hurricane Alex to become category two storm prior to landfall - Jun 30, 2010
- Hurricane warnings issued as Tropical Storm Paula forms in the northwestern Caribbean - Oct 12, 2010
- Hurricane Paula strengthens to category two - Oct 13, 2010
- Category two hurricane Paula takes aim for Cuba - Oct 13, 2010
- Tropical Storm Hermine hits northeastern Mexico, Texas - Sep 07, 2010
- Tropical storm Alex expected to become a hurricane - Jun 30, 2010
- Tropical Storm Hermine Makes Its Way Into Texas - Sep 07, 2010
- Tropical Storm Hermine Weakens After It Hits Texas - Sep 08, 2010
- Tropical Storm Paula forms in the northwestern Caribbean - Oct 12, 2010
- Tropical Storm Frank forms off Mexico's Pacific coast, warning issued - Aug 22, 2010
- Hurricane Earl may strike U.S. east coast - Sep 01, 2010
Tags: baffin bay texas, bno, east southeast, government of mexico, gusts, hurricane status, hurricane strength, hurricane watch, kilometers per hour, landfall, maximum sustained winds, meteorologists, mexico texas, national hurricane center, next hours, north northwest, northeastern mexico, rio grande, rio san fernando, tropical storm hermine