Hurricane Season is active and could get worse!September 16th, 2010 - 12:39 am ICT by Aishwarya Bhatt
Sep 15 (THAINDIAN NEWS) Americans are bracing themselves up for more storms though the number of storms named during this hurricane season has already reached that of a typical hurricane season.
There have already been 11 named storms this season with 5 hurricanes but the hurricane season is just halfway through. The 5 hurricanes are Alex, Danielle, Earl, Igor and Julia and four of those hurricanes were major hurricanes with wind speed of up to 111mph or higher.
During a typical hurricane season, 11 storms hit the United States but fortunately for Americans, this year’s hurricane season has not been characterized by destruction. With the exception of Tropical Storm Hermine and a Tropical Depression 2 which both caused some destruction in Texas, the American coastal towns have been fairly spared this season
The summer of 2010 became the fourth warmest summer on record and that can aid in the development more hurricanes. Hurricane development is aided by warm water temperatures and light winds.
Scientists predict that the season points to a very hectic hurricane season this year. They also predict that even though one half of the hurricane season seems to be over yet, things could get worse in the upcoming latter half of the hurricane season. Luckily all the hurricanes this year haven’t caused much destruction, but the same can not be said about the rest of the season.
- US East Coast braces for Hurricane Earl - Sep 03, 2010
- Tropical Depression Seven forms in the eastern Atlantic, set to become hurricane - Aug 25, 2010
- Tropical storm Katia strengthens - Aug 30, 2011
- Tropical storm Gert to hit Bermuda - Aug 15, 2011
- Hurricane Igor to hit northwestern US by Wednesday - Sep 12, 2010
- New depression prompts tropical storm warnings in the Caribbean - Aug 21, 2012
- Tropical storm Jose spotted in Bermuda - Aug 29, 2011
- Hurricane Earl threatens Caribbean - Aug 30, 2010
- Hurricane Danielle Might Strengthen To Category 3 - Aug 24, 2010
- Igor could form into a Category 5 hurricane - Sep 13, 2010
- Hurricane Earl Keeps Met Officials On Tenterhooks After Gaining Strength - Aug 31, 2010
- Tropical storm Hermine forms, expected to make landfall on U.S.-Mexico coast - Sep 06, 2010
- National Hurricane Center Expands Hurricane Watch Region As Hurricane Earl Gets Ready To Lash - Sep 01, 2010
- Tropical Storm Aletta forms far off Mexico's Pacific coast, no threat - May 15, 2012
- Igor weakens to a tropical depression over the Atlantic - Sep 10, 2010
Tags: alex, coastal towns, danielle, hurricane development, hurricane season, hurricanes, light winds, scientists, storms, tropical depression, tropical storm hermine, warm water temperatures, wind speed