Hurricane Fay menace begins to take toll in CollierAugust 19th, 2008 - 12:37 am ICT by David M N James
Governor Charlie Crist has declared a state of emergency and has 9,000 National Guardsmen available if needed for rescue operation as tropical storm Fay becomes a menace to the tranquil of Florida and other areas on the path of the tropical storm.
Collier County Board of County Commissioners has declared a local state of emergency. Tropical storm Fay high velocity and force winds are expected to be felt in the Naples area beginning at 9 p.m. tonight. Fay has already begun turning into a giant Hurricane force wind with four to six foot range. The hurricane winds are already hitting coastal Collier County. Rainfall amounting to six to eight inches is being expected with projected maximum amounts of up to 12 inches. Weather and hurricane center are projecting that Fay could produce isolated tornados.
Evacuation orders are in effect for residents west and south of U.S. 41. Fay is expected to traumatize Goodland, Chokoloskee, Marco Island, Everglades City, Plantation Island, Isles of Capri, Henderson Creek and the Gordon River area based on estimates and alerts issued by Collier County Bureau of Emergency Services and projections by National Hurricane Center.
A profile of the Tropical storm Fay path shows that Fay moved over Western Cuba this morning and headed for the Gulf of Mexico and the Florida Keys. The National Hurricane Center have indicated that once Fay moves across Cuba and is again over the warm water of the Caribbean, it will achieve more strength and become a category one hurricane at some point today. The hurricane is about to hit Florida Keys and the Gulf of Mexico. People are evacuating Keys already and gigantic traffic north bound on the 110-mile two lane highway connecting several islands to the mainland.
- Tropical storm forces delay of 9/11 trial - Aug 24, 2012
- Tropical Storm Lee forms in the Gulf of Mexico, heads for Louisiana - Sep 03, 2011
- Bobby Jindal skips Republican convention as storm looms - Aug 28, 2012
- Category four hurricane Hilary could threaten Baja California - Sep 24, 2011
- Hurricane Paula battering Cuba's western coast - Oct 14, 2010
- Hurricane Igor to hit northwestern US by Wednesday - Sep 12, 2010
- Public Advisory Issued as Hurricane Earl Strengthens to Category 3 - Aug 30, 2010
- Tropical Storm 'Bonnie' Gathers Pace, Moves Towards Gulf Of Mexico - Jul 23, 2010
- Category two hurricane Paula takes aim for Cuba - Oct 13, 2010
- Tropical Storm Emily forms in the Caribbean, heads for the Dominican Republic - Aug 02, 2011
- Karl becomes a major hurricane in the Gulf of Mexico - Sep 17, 2010
- Tropical Storm Aletta forms far off Mexico's Pacific coast, no threat - May 15, 2012
- Tropical Storm Alex Gaining Strength, Could Push Oil Inland - Jun 29, 2010
- New depression prompts tropical storm warnings in the Caribbean - Aug 21, 2012
- Tropical Depression Seven forms in the eastern Atlantic, set to become hurricane - Aug 25, 2010
Tags: fay tracking, governor charlie crist, hurricane fay, hurricane fay tracking, hurricane in fl, national hurricane center, noaa, tropical storm fay, tropical storm tracking, ts fay, weather, weather channel