Hundreds of bars of silver rescued from WWII shipwreckJuly 19th, 2012 - 7:59 pm ICT by Aishwarya Bhatt
New York, July 19 (THAINDIAN NEWS) Several hundreds of bars of silver have been recovered from a wrecked World War II. The booty was recovered from the wreck of the ship off the coast of Ireland by Odyssey Marine Exploration.
The 48-ton haul belonged to the British government and was on board the ship SS Gairsoppa. The vessel was sunk in February 1941 by German torpedo. Out of the 85 people on board the vessel, only one person escaped from the wreckage.
The wreck was discovered last September and the mission to recover the bars started afterwards. At the current price of silver, the 1,203 bars of silver will cost £155 million.
Officials say the bars were used by the British Government as guarantee for the War Risk Insurance programme. The British government paid a total of £325,000 to the owners of the cargo ship after the wreck.
The chief executive of Odyssey, Greg Stemm, told reporters that, “Our capacity to conduct precision cuts and successfully complete the surgical removal of bullion from secure areas on the ship demonstrates our capabilities to undertake complicated tasks in the very deep ocean.”
The silver bars have since been moved to a secure location in the United Kingdom.
- 50 tonnes of silver recovered from sea - Jul 20, 2012
- £155m treasure trove discovered on shipwreck - Sep 27, 2011
- British shipwreck containing $3 bn treasure found (Lead, changing dateline) - Feb 02, 2012
- Treasure hunter finds $3bn-worth platinum in shipwreck - Feb 02, 2012
- Chinese ship wreckage spotted off Orissa coast - Jun 15, 2011
- Treasure hunters eye underwater cultural heritage in Mexico - Feb 03, 2011
- US marks 70th anniversary of Pearl Harbor attacks - Dec 08, 2011
- Spanish treasure lands after 200 years - Feb 27, 2012
- German submarine lost during WWI found off Dutch coast - Mar 16, 2011
- INS Vindhyagiri sinks after collision - Jan 31, 2011
- Fire-stricken ferry sinks off Jordanian coast - Nov 07, 2011
- South Korea to take ship sinking to UN - May 23, 2010
- North Korea responsible for sinking of South Korean warship: Report - May 06, 2010
- Three World War 1 sunk UK warships discovered off Estonia coast - Aug 24, 2010
- South Korea raises remaining half of sunken warship - Apr 24, 2010
Tags: 1941, booty, british government, bullion, cargo ship, chief executive, current price of silver, deep ocean, greg stemm, last september, odyssey marine exploration, precision cuts, price of silver, shipwreck, silver bars, ss, torpedo, war risk insurance, world war ii, wreckage