Hundreds arrested, dozens injured in Chilean student protestsAugust 11th, 2011 - 1:38 am ICT by BNO News
SANTIAGO (BNO NEWS) — Nearly 400 people have been arrested and dozens have been injured as tens of thousands protested across Chile on Tuesday, the government said on Wednesday.
Deputy Interior Minister Rodrigo Ubilla said a total of 396 people were arrested across the country on Tuesday after hundreds of thousands of people protested against the government of President Sebastian Piñera. At least 55 police officers and 23 civilians were also injured during the demonstrations, the La Tercera newspaper reported.
Students, teachers and other education workers have participated in massive demonstrations in the last several weeks, demanding more government funding and a fundamental change in the educational system. After Tuesday’s protest, which was considered one of the largest demonstrations in the country’s political history since the end of the dictatorship of Augusto Pinochet (1973-1990), Ubilla reiterated his call for the organizers of the protests to establish a dialogue to reach an agreement on education.
At least 874 people were arrested last week during similar protests across the country. Chilean students have been protesting to demand an end to privatized education in the country and ask for a government that can guarantee full access, quality and funding of public education at all its levels.
- Tens of thousands march in Chile for better schools - Aug 29, 2012
- 230 protesters arrested in Chile - Mar 31, 2010
- Trapped miners mark Chile bicentenary celebrations - Sep 19, 2010
- Britain threatening to take Assange by force: Ecuador - Aug 16, 2012
- Ex-Chilean dictator Pinochet amassed USD 21 million fortune - Jun 05, 2010
- Kin of Chile's Allende agree to exhumation - Mar 12, 2011
- Former Spanish judge to defend Assange - Jul 25, 2012
- UK gives Chilean president 33 bottles of London ale for rescued miners - Oct 19, 2010
- Egyptian protesters clash with police in anti-government protests - Jan 26, 2011
- Brazilians protest against corruption - Sep 21, 2011
- One killed in Cairo, protestors confront security forces - Jan 28, 2011
- We'll protest against Anna's arrest: CPI-M - Aug 16, 2011
- Trapped Chilean miners celebrate bicentennial - Sep 19, 2010
- Mexican protests block TV studios amidst election scandal - Jul 29, 2012
- Obama condemns violence against protesters in Syria - Apr 23, 2011
Tags: augusto pinochet, bno, chilean students, civilians, deputy interior minister, dictatorship, dozens, education workers, educational system, fundamental change, government funding, hundreds of thousands, la tercera, massive demonstrations, organizers, police officers, political history, public education, rodrigo, student protests