Hugo Chavez to nationalize Venezuelan private universityMay 13th, 2010 - 1:34 am ICT by BNO News
CARACAS, VENEZUELA (BNO NEWS) — Leftist Venezuelan President Hugo Chavez announced on Tuesday night on his Twitter account his plans to nationalize a private university.
“I inform, attention Barinas, students of the Univ. Santa Inés, I have just approved the nationalization plan, for the good of all. Now: FOR FREE,” said the Twitter message.
The government had banned the operation of the Santa Ines University because it “did not meet the legal and ethical requirements to establish and sustain a private university,” according to the Venezuelan government.
“It offered degree programs illegally,” said Education Minister, Edgardo Ramirez, according to the El Universal newspaper.
Since 2007, President Chavez is conducting an intensive campaign of nationalizations of strategic sectors as electricity, cement, steel, food, oil and banking.
- Belarus to help build space facility in Venezuela - Jul 05, 2012
- Venezuela boosts oil sales to China - Aug 14, 2012
- Gas rig sinks off Venezuelan coast; no injuries - May 13, 2010
- Chavez takes to Twitter after surgery - Mar 02, 2012
- Japan, South Korea plan big oil investments in Venezuela - Apr 30, 2012
- Venezuela nationalises steelmaker - Nov 02, 2010
- Venezuelans protest against US sanctions - May 26, 2011
- Venezuela pays Exxon $250 mn for nationalized assets - Feb 17, 2012
- Chavez returns to Cuba for treatment - Jul 18, 2011
- Chavez to return to Venezuela this week - Apr 24, 2012
- Hugo Chavez calls doctor 'a liar' after saying he has 2 years left to live - Oct 28, 2011
- Venezuela's Chavez threatens to seize bank - Jan 27, 2011
- Chavez heads back to Venezuela - Mar 17, 2012
- Venezuelan lawmakers honour Olympic fencing champ - Aug 15, 2012
- Chavez in good physical condition after operation: Venezuela - Feb 29, 2012
Tags: bno, caracas venezuela, cement, degree programs, education minister, el universal, electricity, ethical requirements, hugo chavez, intensive campaign, nationalization, president chavez, president hugo chavez, private university, santa ines, steel food, tuesday night, venezuelan government, venezuelan president hugo, venezuelan president hugo chavez