Huge Recall of Baby Video Monitors Linked to Two Deaths

February 12th, 2011 - 1:38 am ICT by Angela Kaye Mason  

Feb 11 (THAINDIAN NEWS) Almost two million Summer Infant baby video monitors are being recalled as due to the fact that the product was linked to the deaths of two babies by strangulation. A report from the ‘Associated Press’ says that the Consumer Product Safety Commission reported the electrical cords which are on the monitors can cause danger to infants if it is placed to closely to the crib.

A ten month old baby girl from Washington DC was killed in March when she was strangled by the cord to her baby monitor which was placed on top of the baby bed rail. The cord was to the camera of the Summer Infant monitor. Again in November, another baby, this time a boy from Conway, SC died when the electrical cord from his monitor was placed on the changing table which was attached to his crib.

A twenty month old baby was nearly strangled to death on Pittsburgh for the same reason by a cord which was mounted to the wall, but too closely to the child. The Commission’s Chairman warns parents that cords and babies do not mix. “I urge all parents and caregivers to put at least 3 feet between any video or audio baby monitor cords and a child in a crib,” she stated. “This simple step can save your child’s life.”

Related Stories

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

Posted in World News |

Subscribe