Huge quake off Indonesia prompts tsunami warningsApril 11th, 2012 - 5:14 pm ICT by BNO News
JAKARTA, INDONESIA (BNO NEWS) — A major earthquake struck off the west coast of northern Sumatra on early Wednesday afternoon, seismologists said, prompting tsunami warnings for multiple countries.
The 8.7-magnitude earthquake at 2:38 p.m. local time (0838 GMT) was centered about 434 kilometers (269 miles) southwest of Banda Aceh, the capital of Aceh province on the northern tip of Sumatra. It struck about 33 kilometers (20.5 miles) deep, making it a shallow earthquake, according to the United States Geological Survey (USGS).
It was not immediately known if a tsunami was generated, but authorities in Indonesia immediately issued a tsunami warning for local coastlines as a precaution. The Pacific Tsunami Warning Center did not issue a warning, but issued an Indian Ocean-wide tsunami watch until it is known if a tsunami is generated.
“Earthquakes of this size have the potential to generate a widespread destructive tsunami that can affect coastlines across the entire Indian Ocean basin,” the Pacific Tsunami Warning Center said in a bulletin. “However - it is now known that a tsunami was generated. This watch is based only on the earthquake evaluation.”
- Huge earthquakes strike off Indonesia, prompt tsunami warnings (Update 2) - Apr 11, 2012
- Huge earthquakes strike off Indonesia, prompt tsunami warnings (Update 1) - Apr 11, 2012
- Huge earthquakes strike off Indonesia, generate small tsunamis (Update 3) - Apr 11, 2012
- Strong earthquake strikes western Indonesia, no word on casualties - Sep 06, 2011
- Tsunami warning issued after powerful quake rocks Indonesia - Oct 25, 2010
- Tsunami warnings issued following powerful quake near Vanuatu - Dec 25, 2010
- Powerful earthquake, small tsunamis hit Indonesia - Oct 26, 2010
- Tsunamis strike Japan after enormous earthquakes, casualties reported - Mar 11, 2011
- Damage reported after magnitude-7.6 earthquake hits Costa Rica - Sep 05, 2012
- Powerful quake off Philippines triggers small tsunami - Aug 31, 2012
- Indonesia: Five killed, several injured in Wednesday's earthquakes - Apr 12, 2012
- Powerful earthquake rocks Indonesian island, tsunami warning canceled - Apr 04, 2011
- Strong earthquake shakes Papua New Guinea, no tsunami warning - May 16, 2011
- Powerful earthquakes strike off Vanuatu, generating small tsunamis - Aug 21, 2011
- Tsunami fears ease after powerful earthquake off Northern Sumatra - May 09, 2010
Tags: banda aceh, bno, coastlines, earthquakes, jakarta indonesia, kilometers, magnitude earthquake, northern sumatra, northern tip, ocean basin, pacific tsunami warning, pacific tsunami warning center, precaution, seismologists, shallow earthquake, tsunami warning center, tsunami warnings, united states geological, united states geological survey, wednesday afternoon