Houston Lashed By Rainfall Caused By AlexJuly 3rd, 2010 - 7:02 pm ICT by GD
By Ranjan Bhaduri
Houston, July 3, (THAINDIAN NEWS) The Houston region was lashed by another day of rainfall on Friday as the remnants of hurricane Alex caused heavy thunderstorms. The pilots have now resumed ship traffic at Houston’s oil and petrochemical port. Alex made 22 ships wait at the mouth of the harbor for several hours. A dozen vessels were also waiting for their departure. The hurricane has not damaged the area much but the weather experts have said that heavy rainfall will take place this weekend. In west Columbia a number of houses and businesses were ravaged by the floodwaters.
On Friday the majority of the greater Houston area got around 2 inches of rainfall and more. The airports also received more than 3 inches of rain on that day. The heavy rainfall on Friday also took its toll on air traffic in adjacent airports. Over a dozen flights had to be diverted to adjacent Ellington Airport from Hobby. Short power outages were also reported in some areas. Even on Saturday thunderstorms and rainfall are expected in Houston but after that the weather condition will change for better. The sky will remain cloudy for most of the time.
Thursday was the day of heaviest rainfall in Houston. Some areas witnessed 11 inches of rainfall. By now Alex has weakened into a storm and there is no need to fear damages from it. However, heavy rainfall can cause disruptions in city traffic and flights may get a little delayed. It is now moving to Mexico. CenterPoint Energy said that 20000 customers had to stay without power on Friday for some time. Later power supply was restored.
- Thousands suffer power outages in US after storms - Jun 13, 2012
- There might be more flooding in store for Arcadia, Wis. - Sep 24, 2010
- Phoenix Weather Turmoil Creates Havoc In The City - Oct 06, 2010
- Storms in Chicago force 450 flight cancellations - Apr 21, 2011
- 10 dead, 30,000 evacuated after torrential rains in Beijing (Lead) - Jul 22, 2012
- Heavy monsoon rain kills at least 18 in southeast Pakistan - Aug 13, 2011
- Heavy rains lash Mumbai, surrounding areas - Jul 04, 2012
- Heavy rains lash south Mumbai - Jun 18, 2010
- Mumbai areas waterlogged after third day of heavy rains - Jun 11, 2011
- Heavy snowfall in Kashmir, avalanche warning issued (With Images) - Jan 15, 2012
- Heavy rains lash Mumbai, Maharashtra (Lead) - Aug 28, 2011
- 12 hurt as US flight hits turbulence - Apr 05, 2012
- Mumbai airport main runway shut till 11 p.m. Saturday - Sep 03, 2011
- More rain, more chaos in Delhi (Lead) - Aug 29, 2012
- Rains bring cheers and woes to Mumbai - Jul 08, 2011
Tags: air traffic, centerpoint energy, city traffic, disruptions, dozen flights, ellington airport, floodwaters, greater houston, heaviest rainfall, houston area, houston region, hurricane alex, petrochemical, power outages, ranjan, remnants, ship traffic, weather condition, weather experts, west columbia