Hot air balloon crashes near Abu Dhabi, 2 killedApril 26th, 2010 - 2:46 am ICT by Aishwarya Bhatt
Dubai, Apr 25 (THAINDIAN NEWS) A hot air balloon crashed near Abu Dhabi. At least 2 people were killed in the mishap, and several people were injured. Amongst the dead are an Indian national and a French national. The hot air balloon had 14 passengers on board. According to the General Civil Aviation Authority the hot air balloon crashed at around 6 am on Sunday, near the village of Suwaihan, which is located to the east of Abu Dhabi.
An investigation has already been launched to find out the reasons behind the tragedy.
“Two passengers, one French national and one Indian national, died in the accident and one ground crew staff member from Tanzania were injured. The pilot and 13 passengers took off early on Sunday morning in light winds, however soon after takeoff the wind picked up significantly and the pilot decided to make an emergency landing,” Dubai-based Balloon Adventures Emirates (BAE) said in a statement. The statement also said that the injured people were taken to the hospital. The people who had serious injuries were under intensive care at a hospital. Most of the injured had sustained minor injuries.
“We are in contact with the relevant authorities in the UAE and in France. We are also in contact with the family to provide assistance,” the French embassy said in a statement.
- 11 killed in New Zealand hot air balloon crash - Jan 07, 2012
- Hot air balloon lands in Bath city centre - Jun 06, 2012
- 10 injured in fog-related accidents in UAE - Dec 27, 2011
- Hot air balloon disrupts flights in London - Apr 13, 2012
- 31 die, 12 survive in Russian plane crash (Second Lead) - Apr 02, 2012
- 16 die in Russian plane crash - Apr 02, 2012
- A proposal, a shock and a ballooning story - Jun 08, 2012
- 10 killed as air ambulance crashes near Delhi (Fourth Lead) - May 26, 2011
- Pilot dies as Pakistani Air Force trainer crashes (Lead) - Feb 08, 2012
- Meghalaya wants probe against pilots flouting safety norms - Jun 17, 2011
- Small plane crashes in Canada - Oct 28, 2011
- 11 killed in New Zealand ballooning accident - Jan 07, 2012
- Hundreds feared dead after Nigerian jet crashes in Lagos - Jun 04, 2012
- 158 killed as Air India plane plunges down cliff at Mangalore (Afternoon Lead) - May 22, 2010
- Air India pilots strike disrupts Mid-East flights - May 01, 2011
Tags: abu dhabi, bae, balloon adventures, civil aviation authority, crashes, dubai, emirates, french embassy, french national, ground crew, hot air balloon, intensive care, light winds, minor injuries, mishap, relevant authorities, staff member, sunday morning, takeoff, uae