“Honor Killings” On Rise In Canada, Says Memorial University PsychiatristJune 18th, 2010 - 7:37 pm ICT by GD
By Ranjan Bhaduri
St. Johns, June 18, (THAINDIAN NEWS) The killing of one’s own daughter to save one’s family from shame is a brutal thing witnessed in Muslim community.
Reportedly, the Muslims in Canada have been reported to be holding a high position in honor killings compared to other states. Memorial University psychiatrist Dr. Amin Muhammad said that there has been a total number of 13 honor killing cases all over Canada since 2002.
Recently, both the father and the brother of Aqsa Parvez received life sentences from the court in another honor killing case. The father and the brother both pleaded guilty in front of the court for the murder of 16 year old teen from Mississauga in Canada who was slayed to death way back in the year of 2007.
What did exactly the teen do which made her become the victim of honor killing? Well Aqsa Parvez wanted to work in an office like and wear western outfits like all her Canadian friends. Although the Muslim community have often pointed out Koran as a guiding entity for honor killings, Dr. Amin Muhammad recently told the media that the Holy book of Islam doesn’t approves of honor killings.
He also underlined the fact that people are calling any murder out of the state’s sensitivity towards cultural behavior as “honor killings” to escape the hands of law. The psychiatrist also said that there is nothing “Islamic” and its always heinous crime to take a man’s life.
According to the figures of United Nations Population Fund, a total number of 5,000 girls and women are killed all over the world in the Muslim communities in the name of honor killings.
The psychiatrist pointed out how these honor killings dates back to the Incan civilization where husbands used to starve wives as a penalty for adultery.
- Honour killing over hijab gets life term in Canada - Jun 16, 2010
- Women's minister says 'honour killings' won't be tolerated in Canada - Jul 13, 2010
- Honour killings have no place in Canada: Minister - Jul 13, 2010
- Pakistani Canadian father charged with daughter's killing (Lead) - Jun 18, 2008
- Jordan condemns Israeli settlers' breaking into Al-Aqsa mosque - Feb 20, 2012
- Indian christians condemn killing of Pakistan minister - Mar 02, 2011
- Pakistani Canadian father charged for daughter's killing - Jun 18, 2008
- Srinagar shuts to protest religious leader's killing - Apr 09, 2011
- HRCP denounces Pak Govt. for neglecting Ahmediya flood victims - Aug 21, 2010
- US pastor who burned Koran says violent attack in Afghanistan 'proves his point' about Islam - Apr 02, 2011
- Confusion over mosque status following pastor's plan to put burning Quran on 9/11 "on hold" - Sep 10, 2010
- Archbishop of Canterbury calls slain Pak Christian minister 'a martyr' - Mar 08, 2011
- Canada-bound female spouses from India need counselling - Jul 14, 2010
- Arrest Swamy, rights body urges Mumbai police - Jul 30, 2011
- US mulling visa ban on supporters of Pak Punjab Governor Taseer's assassin - Jan 20, 2011
Tags: adultery, canadian friends, dr amin, fact that people, heinous crime, high position, honor killing, honor killings, incan civilization, koran, life sentences, muslim communities, muslim community, muslims in canada, nations population fund, parvez, psychiatrist, ranjan, united nations population fund, western outfits