Honolulu babysitter found guilty of murder in freeway overpass toss of toddlerFebruary 12th, 2010 - 3:53 pm ICT by BNO News
HONOLULU (BNO NEWS) — A Honolulu Circuit Court judge on Friday convicted a babysitter of second-degree murder in the death of a 23-month-old toddler who died when he was thrown from a freeway overpass in January 2008.
Circuit Judge Dexter Del Rosario said Matthew Higa “intentionally and knowingly caused the death of Cyrus Belt.” Higa was dressed in a blue/yellow aloha shirt as he heard his conviction, shortly after 3.30 p.m. local time.
The mother of the murdered baby, Nancy Chanco, cried as she left the courtroom, moments after the conviction.
Higa’s attorney, Randall Oyama, argued that Belt was already dead when Higa intentionally dropped him from the overpass and suggested that the boyfriend of Belt’s mother might have been responsible for the boy’s death. The deputy medical examiner, however, said that the fall killed the child.
A date for his sentencing was not immediately set, but Higa may face life in prison with the possibility of parole.
- Trayvon Martin shooter George Zimmerman makes first court appearance - Apr 13, 2012
- Manu Sharma's parole plea decision Nov 16 (Lead) - Nov 14, 2011
- Murder convict arrested 10 years after jumping parole - Dec 20, 2011
- Manu Sharma seeks 12-day parole for brother's marriage (Lead) - Nov 02, 2011
- Phil Spector' lawyers appeal to overturn murder conviction - Apr 13, 2011
- Andrew Thomas Gallo Sentenced To 51 Years - Dec 24, 2010
- Punjab man gets life term for klling wife in Vancouver - Mar 26, 2011
- Nitish Katara murder: Third accused held guilty - Jul 06, 2011
- Texas man gets death penalty for killing three children - Jul 30, 2010
- Debra Meets Lumen In Latest Episode Of "Dexter" - Nov 22, 2010
- Indian-origin husband found guilty of '2006 pregnant woman's' murder - Feb 06, 2011
- Naina Sahni murder: Sharma allowed to nurse mother - Aug 25, 2010
- Notice to Delhi government on parole rules - Jul 23, 2011
- Arizona court convicts Iraqi man for "honour killing" of westernised daughter - Feb 23, 2011
- Casey Anthony found hiding in Florida - May 23, 2012
Tags: aloha shirt, babysitter, bno, chanco, circuit court judge, circuit judge, conviction, courtroom, del rosario, deputy medical examiner, dexter, freeway overpass, higa, honolulu, life in prison, local time, nancy, oyama, second degree murder