Holocaust Museum security guard Stephen Johns deadJune 11th, 2009 - 3:52 am ICT by John Le Fevre
US Holocaust Memorial Museum security guard Stephen Tyrone Johns has died after being shot by 88-year-old Maryland man James W von Brunn earlier today.
Von Brunn, who authorities say is a known white supremacist, reportedly walked into the museum at 12:50pm and shot Mr Johns with a shotgun as he manned a security checkpoint.
Two other security officers at the museum returned gunfire wounding von Brunn before police and emergency service responders could arrive on site.
A spokesman for the museum, Andy Hollinger, said in a statement that after von Brunn opened fire, “two museum security officers returned fire hitting the assailant.”
Sergeant David Schlosser, a spokesman for the US Park Police, had earlier said von Brunn and Mr Johns had been transported to George Washington University Hospital with serious injuries.
An eyewitness said she heard five shots and saw a security guard lying wounded on the ground.
“It was definitely a security guard, he was down bleeding on the floor,” she said. “He was face down. His back … blood was coming out.”
- White supremacist James von Brunn arrested for Holocaust Museum shooting - Jun 11, 2009
- Who is James von Brunn? - Jun 11, 2009
- Who are white supremacists? - Jun 11, 2009
- Suspected Holocaust Shooter Dies - Jan 07, 2010
- U.S. Holocaust Memorial Museum shooter charged with first degree murder - Jun 12, 2009
- James Von Brunn Identified as Holocaust Museum Shooter - Jun 11, 2009
- Gunman opens fire at Holocaust Museum in Washington, D.C. - Jun 11, 2009
- Jewish organization condemns shooting incident at U.S. Holocaust Museum - Jun 11, 2009
- 88-year-old White supremacist kills Holocaust Museum guard - Jun 11, 2009
- Guard shot at US Holocaust museum dies - Jun 11, 2009
- Seven hurt as man opens fire in US casino - Jul 25, 2011
- Holocaust Memorial Museum to re-open on Thursday - Jun 11, 2009
- Officer dies after shooting at U.S. Holocaust Memorial Museum - Jun 11, 2009
- Gurdwara shooting gunman identified as ex-soldier (Fourth Lead) - Aug 07, 2012
- Seven killed in Iraq attacks - Aug 06, 2012
Tags: assailant, face down, five shots, george washington, george washington university, george washington university hospital, gunfire, hollinger, holocaust, holocaust memorial, holocaust memorial museum, holocaust museum, museum security, old maryland, security checkpoint, security guard, security officers, shotgun, us park police, white supremacist