Helpful hippo helps stranded animals on the Mara RiverNovember 11th, 2010 - 9:26 pm ICT by Aishwarya Bhatt
Nairobi, Nov 11 (THAINDIAN NEWS) Animals are often not regarded as having affection for other species. They show great affection for their own but they are often not known to do the same for animals of different species. However a hippopotamus has not only shown that it has affection for any particular specie. The animal showed great love to two different species at a time.
The animal that has been dubbed the “Good Samaritan” by some media outlets stunned all the witnesses at the Sanctuary Olonana in Kenya when it rescued not one but two different species. The animal saved a young wildebeest which is properly called gnu and a young zebra.
The few lucky observers to witnessed the action live, said the animal first rescued the gnu. The little animal was part of the large migratory wildebeest and as it tried to cross the Mara River, it fell into it. When it seemed the animal was going to drown, the hippo used its head and pushed the animal to the bank. After that stunning act of “love”, the gnu rose to its feet and did run to the relived mother who was all along looking helplessly as the animal drifted away.
Just when the viewers of the spectacle were discussing what has just happened, a young zebra also fell into the river. Again the “good” hippo was on hand to save the zebra as well.
- Rare pink hippos spotted in Kenya - Oct 01, 2010
- Drought in Kenya causing death of African elephants and other iconic animals - Sep 22, 2009
- 'Humphrey the Hippo' kills owner in South Africa - Nov 13, 2011
- Zoo seeks match for female zebras - Mar 01, 2012
- 1,000 chicks chirp as storks visit Delhi zoo - Dec 07, 2011
- 'Madagascar 3' on Indian screens June 8 (With Images) - Apr 17, 2012
- Wildlife on a decline in Kenya's Masai Mara National Reserve - Apr 22, 2009
- Hippo kills man in Burundi - Aug 13, 2012
- Endangered Garuda takes wing in Bihar - Nov 16, 2011
- Mammal populations dip by up to 59pc in Africa's national parks - Jul 13, 2010
- How mass migration evolved - Sep 19, 2010
- 'Madagascar 3' - cramped but triple the fun (IANS Movie Review) - Jun 09, 2012
- Coolers, sprinklers, glucose to help Delhi Zoo beat heat - May 05, 2011
- Dubai to observe World Migratory Bird Day - May 11, 2012
- Assam flood situation worsens, toll rises to 18 - Jun 28, 2012