Helicopter crashes near Gulf of Mexico oil rig platformMay 29th, 2012 - 8:13 pm ICT by BNO News
NEW ORLEANS, LOUISIANA (BNO NEWS) — A helicopter used to transport workers crashed near an oil rig platform in the Gulf of Mexico on late Monday afternoon, killing the pilot, officials said on Tuesday. No one else was on board the aircraft.
The accident happened at approximately 4:05 p.m. local time when the Bell 206 aircraft struck the skirting of an oil rig platform approximately 65 nautical miles (120 kilometers) southwest of Grand Isle in Louisiana, causing it to crash into the Gulf of Mexico.
Lynn Lunsford, a spokesman for the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA), said the pilot was the only person on board the helicopter, which was registered to helicopter services company PHI, Inc. in Lafayette. A volunteer dive team recovered the body of the pilot about four hours after the crash.
The pilot, whose identity was not immediately released, was flying to the oil rig platform to pick up a number of workers, officials said. Lunsford said there was good visibility at the time of the crash, and it was not immediately clear what may have caused the accident.
In January 2009, eight people were killed when a PHI helicopter bound for offshore oil fields crashed in a marshy area near Bayou Penchant in Louisiana, about 100 miles (160 kilometers) southwest of New Orleans. One person survived the accident but was critically injured.
- Plane crash kills 4 at New Mexico airport - Apr 03, 2011
- Vintage biplane with 6 onboard goes missing in Australia - Oct 02, 2012
- Six feared dead after small plane crashes into the Arizona mountains - Nov 24, 2011
- BP Plans To Cap Leaking Oil Well Permanently - May 18, 2010
- Hundreds feared dead after Nigerian jet crashes in Lagos - Jun 04, 2012
- Seven injured, 11 missing after oil rig blast in US - Apr 21, 2010
- Pilot injured after small plane crashes near Lincoln County, Oklahoma airport - May 07, 2010
- 13 rescued after Gulf of Mexico oil rig explosion - Sep 03, 2010
- Two U.S. Marines rescued after fighter jet crashes off San Diego, CA - Aug 11, 2011
- Another Oil Rig Explosion In The Gulf Of Mexico Coast, No Spill Reported - Sep 03, 2010
- Fighter jet crashes in northwestern India, killing the pilot - Aug 02, 2011
- At least 12 missing after explosion on oil rig in Gulf of Mexico - Apr 21, 2010
- Russia proposes setting up special fund for tackling oil spills - Jun 28, 2010
- BP expresses confidence that Gulf well has been sealed - Jul 18, 2010
- Underwater Vehicles Used To Obstruct Rig Oil Leak - Apr 27, 2010
Tags: bayou penchant, bno, faa, federal aviation administration, grand isle, gulf of mexico, gulf of mexico oil, helicopter crashes, helicopter services, kilometers, local time, marshy area, monday afternoon, nautical miles, new orleans louisiana, offshore oil fields, oil rig, phi, visibility, volunteer dive team