Helicopter crashes in Belarus, killing 5 peopleOctober 21st, 2011 - 7:34 pm ICT by BNO News
MINSK, BELARUS (BNO NEWS) — Five people were killed on Thursday afternoon when a helicopter crashed in Belarus near the border with Lithuania, officials told local media on Friday.
The twin-engine Ecureuil AS355 NP helicopter crashed in a village near the Belarus-Lithuanian border on Thursday afternoon, local authorities told the Beltel Radio Company. A fire immediately broke out in the aircraft.
All five people who were on board the aircraft were killed, including two crew members and three members of the ‘Soyuz’ TV camera crew and radio association.
According to reports, the crew was carrying out a report on border security in the area when the helicopter crashed. State Frontier Committee Chair Igor Rachkovsky later arrived at the scene of the accident where investigations have been launched.
The cause of the accident was not immediately known. The six-seater Ecureuil chopper was originally manufactured by Aerospatiale, which is now part of the Eurocopter Group. In North America, it is also known as the TwinStar.
- Passenger plane crashes in Russia's Far East, killing 10 - Sep 13, 2012
- Russian military plans to buy foreign choppers - Feb 23, 2012
- Eurocopter to focus on new markets in India - Mar 13, 2012
- 'Chopper carrying Khandu was new, but unfit for such terrain' - May 04, 2011
- 10 die in Russian plane crash - Sep 12, 2012
- Arunachal chief minister's chopper was new: Pawan Hans - May 01, 2011
- Six killed in Venezuelan plane crash - Feb 23, 2011
- Helicopter crashes in eastern Romania, killing 5 Ukrainians - Apr 27, 2012
- UTair passenger plane crashes in Siberia, killing 31 - Apr 02, 2012
- Four Americans killed in Bahamas plane crash - Mar 27, 2012
- Helicopter carrying six Israeli service members crashes in central Romania - Jul 26, 2010
- Five die in US chopper crash - Dec 08, 2011
- Poor quality fuel cause of Russian plane crash? - Sep 08, 2011
- Small passenger plane crashes in eastern Canada, killing 4 - Jan 12, 2012
- Pawan Hans receives Eurocopters's 1,000th Dauphin (With Image) - Apr 19, 2011
Tags: aerospatiale, border security, camera crew, chopper, committee chair, crew members, frontier, helicopter crashes, investigations, local authorities, local media, north america, np, radio association, radio company, soyuz, thursday afternoon, tv camera, twinstar