Heavy rain collapses buildings in Darfur, killing 20 soldiersAugust 3rd, 2011 - 11:43 pm ICT by BNO News
EL GENEINA, SUDAN (BNO NEWS) — Twenty Sudanese soldiers were killed on Tuesday when two buildings collapsed as a result of a heavy rain in West Darfur state, officials said on Wednesday.
The African Union - United Nations Mission in Darfur (UNAMID) said 20 Sudanese Armed Forces (SAF) soldiers were killed on Tuesday when two buildings in El Geneina, which is the capital of West Darfur state in Sudan. It said 30 others were injured.
“Following the tragedy, UNAMID assisted by providing a crane and other lifting equipment for debris clearance,” a UNAMID spokesperson said in a statement, adding that UNAMID’s Head of Office had visited the scene to convey the Mission’s condolences.
Other details were not immediately available.
- Four UN peacekeepers killed in West Darfur ambush - Oct 05, 2012
- Three peacekeepers killed in Sudan's Darfur - Oct 11, 2011
- One thousand ex-combatants to lay down arms in West Darfur - Apr 18, 2011
- UN peacekeeper killed in armed attack at IDP camp in South Darfur - Aug 13, 2012
- CARE International worker killed in South Darfur - Jan 09, 2011
- U.S. Senator John Kerry visits Sudan ahead of south's referendum - Jan 08, 2011
- British government 'strongly condemns' the kidnapping of two peacekeepers in Darfur - Aug 17, 2010
- Al Arabiya: Jordanian U.N. peacekeepers abducted in South Darfur released - Aug 17, 2010
- UN peacekeeping force in Darfur denies hijacking of Russian helicopter - Jul 28, 2010
- Kidnapped Briton released in Sudan - May 31, 2012
- Sudan rebels claim to have killed 130 soldiers - Feb 28, 2012
- Sudan rebels claim killing 79 soldiers - Apr 21, 2012
- Eight civilians killed in Sudan's weekend bombings of South Sudan - Apr 18, 2012
- 22 soldiers killed in Sudan - May 20, 2011
- Seven-story building collapses in Beirut, killing 27 - Jan 17, 2012