Hazel Cunningham caught cheating because of FacebookFebruary 22nd, 2011 - 8:48 pm ICT by Aishwarya Bhatt
London, Feb 22 (THAINDIAN NEWS) A benefits cheat has been jailed 120 days after it was realized that she was not single as she claimed.
47-year-old Hazel Cunningham was receiving £170 in benefits every week because she filed that she was a single mother. According to the prosecutors, investigators only managed to detect the fraud when they found Hazel’s wedding pictures on her Facebook page.
Investigators told the court that the woman spent the money that she received holidaying around the world. She went to Turkey, Kenya and had a wedding in the Caribbean. Hazel pleaded guilty to benefits fraud and she was subsequently sentenced on her own plea.
According to court documents, Hazel recently got married to Paul and her employer has been paying her maternity leave as well. She has been ordered by the court to refund the £15,000 that she falsely received in benefits.
Benefits fraud is rampant in the United States and the United Kingdom. Officials in the United Kingdom say they have come up with ways to track false claims and that includes the use of social networking sites like Facebook and others where people unwittingly tell their whole life story.
A spokesperson of the Ashford Council told reporters that, “Our investigators use Facebook as a routine tool when looking at someone’s claim that they are single and not married.”
- Brit woman jailed after Facebook wedding pics expose her as benefit cheat - Feb 22, 2011
- Brit Cabinet minister's mistress to beg wife for forgiveness - Feb 07, 2011
- Elizabeth Balogh arrested on her wedding day - Nov 18, 2011
- Woman gets 15 years for cancer scam - Oct 30, 2010
- Mexican actress Maria Fernanda Romero Martinez marries fraudulently to apply for green card status - Apr 17, 2010
- Grandmother to be jailed in Social Security fraud case - Mar 29, 2011
- British minister accused of cheating wife - Jan 23, 2011
- Three US citizens and three Cambodian men indicted for marriage and benefit fraud - May 14, 2010
- Fears abound for 'painfully thin' Office star Lucy Davis - May 29, 2012
- Buffalo, NY woman sentenced for student loan fraud case - Feb 19, 2010
- Skokie, IL man charged for his role in a tax refund conspiracy - Apr 13, 2010
- Kanimozhi moves high court seeking quashing of 2G charges - Mar 23, 2012
- Married UK House of Lords leader's affair with single mum exposed - Jan 24, 2011
- FIR against BJP general secretary for fraud - Sep 04, 2012
- Woman jailed for claiming benefits pretending to be single - Jan 24, 2011
Tags: ashford, court documents, facebook, fraud, hazel, investigators, kenya, london feb, maternity, money, plea, prosecutors, routine tool, single mother, social networking sites, spokesperson, turkey, united kingdom, wedding in the caribbean, whole life