Hand transplant patient speaks about her experienceApril 20th, 2011 - 9:58 pm ICT by Aishwarya Bhatt
Los Angeles, April 20 (THAINDIAN NEWS) Doctors at the Ronald Reagan UCLA Medical Center successfully completed a hand transplant procedure. The procedure is the 13th of its kind in the United States and the beneficiary say the procedure has gone so well that she doesn’t know how she managed to live without hand for almost 5 years.
26-year-old Emily Fennell lost her hand when she had an auto accident in 2006. Doctors were forced to amputate because her hand was crashed by the car. She was however presented with another opportunity to have a hand when a donor came up.
Doctors at UCLA used a 14-hour procedure to attach the hand of a deceased to Fennell’s limb and she has since adapted so well. In a statement released by the hospital, Fennell said that she is now able to do complex things like wiggling her fingers and others.
The hospital welcomed the progress that Fennell has made. The head of UCLA’s hand surgery program, Dr. Kodi Azari, said that Fennell is also doing very well psychologically. He explained that Fennell is gradually accepting the fact that the hand is part of her body. She now calls it “my hand” and not “the hand” that she used to refer to it.
- US mom receives revolutionary hand transplant surgery - Apr 20, 2011
- Zsa Zsa Gabor refuses second leg amputation - Mar 05, 2011
- Gabor doesn't know about amputation! - Jan 18, 2011
- Gabor refuses second leg amputation - Mar 05, 2011
- Zsa Zsa Gabor hospitalised again - Oct 10, 2011
- Zsa Zsa Gabor To Undergo Partial Leg Amputation - Jan 03, 2011
- World's first quadruple limb transplant - Feb 26, 2012
- Gabor rushed to hospital again - Mar 03, 2011
- Gabor undergoes leg amputation surgery - Jan 15, 2011
- Gabor leaves hospital - May 18, 2011
- Zsa Zsa Gabor back home after amputation - Jan 23, 2011
- Frederic Prinz von Anhalt Hospitalized After Collapsing In Elevator - Feb 03, 2011
- Doctors Perpetrate The Amputation Of Zsa Zsa Gabor’s Right Leg - Jan 15, 2011
- Frederic Prinz von Anhalt Hospitalized Subsequent To His Collapse In An Elevator - Feb 03, 2011
- Hyderabad hospital performs rare kidney transplant - Aug 19, 2011
Tags: auto accident, azari, beneficiary, doctors, emily, experience los angeles, fingers, hand surgery, hand transplant patient, kodi, ronald reagan, surgery program, transplant procedure, ucla medical center