Haiti rocked by a 6.1 magnitude aftershock todayJanuary 20th, 2010 - 7:04 pm ICT by Aishwarya Bhatt
Port-Au-Prince, Jan 20 (THAINDIAN NEWS) Haiti was rocked by another aftershock on Wednesday morning, barely eight days after the devastating earthquake struck and destroyed Haiti. The recent earthquake measured 6.1 on the Richter scale. The hapless Haitians, who haven’t yet recovered from the previous earthquake, were shocked beyond words, and they started screaming and running from their homes onto the streets. A new panic situation erupted for them, in the form of Wednesday’s earthquake.
The U.S. Geological Survey said that the Wednesday’s earthquake was of a 6.1 magnitude. It hit at 6:03 a.m. (1103 GMT) about 35 miles (56 kilometers) northwest of the capital of Haiti - Port-au-Prince. It struck at a depth of 13.7 miles (22 kilometers) but fortunately enough it was located quite inland to generate any tidal waves in the ocean. So no tsunami alert was issued after this earthquake.
It is still not known what additional damage was caused by Wednesday’s earthquake. Haitians started wailing and crying and started running from the already unstable buildings. The earthquake, which has claimed over 200,000 people, happened around 4.53 p.m. local time on last Tuesday, according to the United States Geological Survey, making it the strongest earthquake ever recorded within 200 kilometers. It struck about 10 miles southwest of the country’s capital, Port-au-Prince.
- US Businesses hit hard by the Haiti earthquake - Jan 15, 2010
- Man pulled alive from the Haiti earthquake rubble - Jan 28, 2010
- Strong aftershock hits Haiti - Jan 20, 2010
- Haiti earthquake survivors getting desperate for aid - Jan 16, 2010
- Haiti death toll keeps on rising - Jan 19, 2010
- Haiti still in turmoil as death toll rises to 200,000 - Jan 19, 2010
- Haiti earthquake: 200 missing in Hotel Montana collapse - Jan 13, 2010
- President Barack Obama pledges $100 million in aid to Haiti - Jan 15, 2010
- Wyclef Jean refuses that he benefitted personally from his charity's alleged misdoings - Jan 19, 2010
- Haiti Presidential Palace ruined in the earthquake - Jan 13, 2010
- Around 200 UN personnel missing in the Haiti earthquake - Jan 15, 2010
- More damage reported after 6.1-magnitude Haiti aftershock (Lead) - Jan 20, 2010
- Wyclef Jean, Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt to aid the Haiti earthquake victims - Jan 15, 2010
- UK Firefighters to search for Haiti earthquake survivors - Jan 13, 2010
- Haiti's capital devastated by powerful earthquake - Jan 13, 2010
Tags: capital of haiti, devastating earthquake, eight days, haiti port au prince, haitians, kilometers, last tuesday, local time, magnitude aftershock, panic situation, port au prince, recent earthquake, richter scale, strongest earthquake, tidal waves, tsunami alert, u s geological survey, united states geological, united states geological survey, wednesday morning