Haiti After The QuakeJanuary 17th, 2010 - 7:45 pm ICT by GD
By Gina Gomez
Haiti, Jan 17 (THAINDIAN NEWS) The catastrophic earthquake at Haiti of magnitude 7.0 has shaken the nation. The devastating earthquake took away thousands of lives rendering so many people homeless. The worst affected among them is Port-au-Prince. The major landmarks were broken into pieces killing lot of eminent persons. The damage list includes the Presidential Palace (President Rene Preval survived though), the Port-au-Prince Cathedral, the main jail and the National Assembly. As per the reports of the United Nations, its headquarters of the United Nations Stabilization Mission in Haiti collapsed killing the Mission’s Chief, Hede Annabi and his deputy.
Hotel Montana located in the hills in Port-au-Prince has also collapsed. The 98-year-old luxurious building which was used by various foreign tourist is now buried under rubble. 200 people were missing. With the joined effort of the rescue team of France, Spain and United States 7 were saved. The owner of the hotel, Reinhard Reidl was eagerly waiting for the rescue of his wife. He said, “My wife is still alive.” Towards the later half of the day she was found dead.
Among the 7 survivors of Hotel Montana, Dan Wooley from America and Luscon Mondesir got trapped in adjacent elevators. They went on communicating with each other sharing ideas on what to do. They first met when they were rescued. The former told the latter, “It’s so good to meet you.” The latter admitted that they remain composed as they went on exchanging views or else it was difficult to survive.
The poorest country in the Western Hemisphere will take a lot of time recovering from this devastation. The landmarks that made them proud have also diminished due to the quake.
- UN regroups peacekeeping mission, launches relief efforts (Lead) - Jan 15, 2010
- Five hundred thousands feared dead in Haiti earthquake - Jan 14, 2010
- UN Haiti headquarter collapses in earthquake - Jan 13, 2010
- 100 UN staff among 'hundreds' killed in Haiti quake - Jan 13, 2010
- UN workers' toll in Haiti Quake reaches 94 - Feb 09, 2010
- Haiti earthquake: 200 missing in Hotel Montana collapse - Jan 13, 2010
- India to give one million dollar aid for emergency relief purposes in Haiti - Jan 14, 2010
- Tens of thousands feared dead in Haitian earthquake (Second Lead) - Jan 14, 2010
- Haiti earthquake death toll has reached 212,000: Prime Minister Bellerive - Feb 05, 2010
- U.N. confirms death of Hedi Annabi - Jan 17, 2010
- Hundreds feared dead in massive earthquake in Haiti (Third Lead) - Jan 13, 2010
- Haiti's capital devastated by powerful earthquake - Jan 13, 2010
- Thousands feared dead as massive earthquake destroys Haiti's capital - Jan 13, 2010
- Bodies of eight Chinese officers found in Haiti - Jan 17, 2010
- Indian peacekeepers honoured in Haiti - May 11, 2012
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,