Gunmen kill four during hostage crisis in western IraqOctober 4th, 2011 - 12:14 am ICT by BNO News
RAMADI, IRAQ (BNO NEWS) — A group of gunmen stormed a police station in western Iraq on Monday morning, taking a number of people hostage and killing several of them before security forces took out the attackers, officials said.
The attack happened when a group of seven gunmen attacked the Baghdadi District police station which is located in al-Baghdadi, a city in Iraq’s western Anbar Province. At least 18 people were taken hostage, including the district manager and the police chief.
Security forces, including Iraqi soldiers, rushed to the scene and cordoned off the area before they stormed the building, freeing district manager Mohannad Zabbar and thirteen other hostages.
However, police chief Colonel Sadiq Al Obeidi, two police officers and a civilian were killed by the hostage takers when security forces moved in. Seven gunmen were also killed by security forces while two others were arrested, according to the National Iraqi News Agency (NINA).
The gunmen were disguised in police uniforms and reports said there were several explosions during the attack, but it was not immediately known if the hostages were shot dead or if they died as a result of the explosions.
No group immediately claimed responsibility for the attack.
- 10 dead in Iraq hostage crisis - Oct 03, 2011
- Nine killed in Iraq insurgent attacks - Nov 20, 2011
- Iraq launches new offensive against Al Qaeda - Apr 26, 2010
- 25 killed, over 170 wounded in Iraq attacks - Mar 20, 2012
- Iraqi troops launch major offensive against Al Qaeda - Apr 26, 2010
- Seven killed in Iraq bomb blasts - Aug 04, 2011
- Eight killed in separate attacks in Iraq - Apr 20, 2010
- 43 killed, over 190 wounded in Iraq bomb attacks (Lead) - Mar 20, 2012
- Gunmen kill tribal leader, woman official in Iraq - Feb 16, 2011
- Iraq official survives bomb attack - Apr 22, 2012
- Al Qaeda relations chief arrested in Iraq - Apr 22, 2010
- Sunni leader assassinated in Iraq - Jun 06, 2011
- 6 killed in Iraq violence - Aug 25, 2012
- Two Al Qaeda leaders killed in Iraqi-US operation - Apr 20, 2010
- More than 50 killed after gunmen take hostages at Iraqi church - Nov 01, 2010
Tags: al baghdadi, anbar province, attackers, bno, chief security, district police station, explosions, gunmen, hostage crisis, hostage takers, hostages, iraqi news agency, iraqi soldiers, monday morning, police uniforms, ramadi iraq, sadiq, security forces, western iraq, zabbar