Gunman opens fire in Hollywood before being killed by policeDecember 10th, 2011 - 7:03 pm ICT by BNO News
HOLLYWOOD, CALIFORNIA (BNO NEWS) — A gunman opened fire in the famous Los Angeles district of Hollywood on Friday, randomly shooting at people before being killed by police, local media reported.
The gunman, a young white male wearing a white tank top, was seen standing in the middle of Vine street in Hollywood when he opened fire at passing motorists at random. He also fired in the air, causing panic as people ran for cover.
A 40-year-old man who was driving a silver Mercedes Benz was shot in the head and reported to be in a critical condition, according to the Los Angeles Times. He was rushed to Cedars-Sinai Medical Center after suffering a gunshot wound to his jaw.
The Los Angeles Police Department brought the shooting rampage to an end by fatally shooting the gunman in the middle of the intersection at Sunset Boulevard and Vine Street. Photographer Gregory Bojorquez, who witnessed the incident, told the Los Angeles Times that when police arrived at the scene and ordered the gunman to the ground and surrender, he began screaming he ‘wanted to die.’
The gunman, who was also reportedly armed with a knife, then appeared to reach for his gun when a police officer opened fire and fatally shot him.
Both the gunman’s identity and his motive were not immediately known, but the incident showed similarities to the phenomena which is known as ’suicide by cop’.
- 'The Muppets' recieves star on Hollywood Walk of Fame - Mar 22, 2012
- Gunman kills five, self at US skating rink - Jul 24, 2011
- One injured as gunman opens fire at Los Angeles school - May 26, 2011
- Zsa Zsa Gabor to undergo hip replacement surgery - Jul 19, 2010
- Eight killed, one injured in Ohio shooting spree - Aug 08, 2011
- Man kills three in shooting rampage in US - Dec 17, 2011
- Hollywood Christmas Parade On Sunday Attracted Crowds - Nov 30, 2009
- Gunman kills 4 at Minnesota workplace before shooting self - Sep 29, 2012
- Suspect in Hollywood publicist slaying case shoots himself - Dec 02, 2010
- Photographer complains against Oliver Martinez - Dec 05, 2010
- Music conductor Zubin Mehta honored with star on Hollywood Walk of Fame - Mar 02, 2011
- Obama denounces Sikh Gurudwara shooting - Aug 06, 2012
- Three die in US shopping plaza shootout (Lead) - Aug 31, 2012
- President Obama calls for moment of silence for victims of Arizona mass shooting - Jan 10, 2011
- 1 killed, 3 wounded in shooting near Los Angeles - Apr 08, 2009
Tags: angeles police department, bno, bojorquez, critical condition, gunman fires, gunman opened fire, gunman opens fire, gunshot, hollywood california, local media, los angeles times, mercedes benz, sinai medical center, street photographer, suicide by cop, sunset and vine, sunset boulevard, tank top, vine street, white tank