Gunman at University of Connecticut campus kills self after standoffJuly 25th, 2012 - 1:05 am ICT by BNO News
GROTON, CONNECTICUT (BNO NEWS) — A standoff with an armed man at the University of Connecticut’s Avery Point campus in Groton ended Tuesday morning when the man committed suicide, officials said. It followed hours of negotiations in an attempt to end the situation peacefully.
The incident began at about 5 p.m. local time on Monday when police in Groton began looking for an armed and suicidal man. Police found the man’s car at Avery Point at about 10 p.m. local time, prompting authorities to close the campus. Officers later found the man alone on a remote area of the campus.
The University of Connecticut Police Department and the Groton City Police Department located the man at a remote shoreline location on campus, where he was threatening to harm himself with a handgun. Officers set up a perimeter around him and continued negotiations with the suicidal man for hours.
The negotiations came to an abrupt end on early Tuesday morning when the man, who was crawled beneath a dock along the shoreline, threw away his phone and killed himself. His identity was not immediately released, and authorities did not say why the man wanted to kill himself.
Police did not believe the man was a threat to others but evacuated the campus as a precaution while the university sent out alerts through text messages and email. University of Connecticut Police also worked with Project Oceanology, a youth program operated at the campus, to inform parents of the situation. The about 50 children were in a locked building guarded by armed officers during the incident.
The Avery Point campus reopened Tuesday morning and Connecticut State Police have taken over the investigation.
- Three killed in shooting near US varsity (Lead) - Aug 14, 2012
- Chinese hostage-taker shot dead - Jul 20, 2012
- Armed Oregon man demands to be shot and confronts police officer - Apr 16, 2010
- Man commits suicide over family disputes - Oct 08, 2011
- Gunman kills seven at California religious college - Apr 03, 2012
- US hostage taker said he was strapped with bombs (Lead) - Sep 02, 2010
- Armed 15-year-old US student shoots himself after tense hostage situation - Nov 30, 2010
- US hostage taker said he had bombs strapped to body - Sep 02, 2010
- Ghaziabad student kills self at home - Dec 29, 2011
- Youngstown Police Arrests The Suspects Of Frat House Shooting - Feb 07, 2011
- Blasts rock Kabul, Taliban target US embassy - Sep 13, 2011
- Mass shootings have claimed hundreds of lives in US - Aug 14, 2012
- Police Shoot Down Gunman After Discovery Channel Employees Taken Hostage - Sep 02, 2010
- Man held after people shot near Texas varsity - Aug 14, 2012
- Gurdwara shooting gunman identified as ex-soldier (Fourth Lead) - Aug 07, 2012
Tags: armed man, armed officers, avery point campus, bno, city police department, connecticut campus, connecticut police department, connecticut state police, early tuesday, groton city, groton connecticut, handgun, man police, precaution, project oceanology, standoff, suicidal man, text messages, tuesday morning, university of connecticut