Guantanamo detainee Ahmed Ghailani arrives in New YorkJune 9th, 2009 - 6:50 pm ICT by John Le Fevre
Tanzanian born Guantanamo Bay detainee Ahmed Ghailani has been transferred to the United States to stand trial for the 1998 US embassy bombings in East Africa.
Ghailani was taken to Guantanamo Bay with other “high value” detainees in late 2006 and is the first of the detainees to be taken to the US for trial in a US civilian court as the Obama administration struggles to find a way to make good its election promise to close Guantanamo Bay within a year of taking office.
Congress has rejected an administration request for funding to close down Guantanamo Bay, amid widespread opposition to bringing detainees on to the US mainland.
US Attorney General Eric Holder said, “Ghailani is being held accountable for his alleged role in the bombing of US embassies in Tanzania and Kenya and the murder of 224 people,”
The Justice Department said Ghailani faced 286 charges including conspiring with Osama bin Laden and other members of al-Qaeda to kill Americans anywhere in the world, and murder charges for each of the victims of August 7, 1998.
According to the transcript of a closed-door hearing in March 2007, Mr Ghailani admitted delivering explosives used to blow up the US embassy in the Tanzanian city of Dar Es Salaam.
However, he told the hearing he did not know about the attack beforehand and apologized to the US government and the victims’ families.
- NY jury acquits Tanzanian man of 284 counts of Qaeda-linked terrorism - Nov 18, 2010
- Man who bombed two US embassies in Africa gets life term (Lead) - Jan 26, 2011
- US judge bars major witness from GITMO detainee's trial - Oct 07, 2010
- Obama administration to continue terrorism trials in civilian court despite criticism - Nov 19, 2010
- Former Bin-Laden aide jailed for life for US embassy bombings in East Africa - Jan 26, 2011
- Osama bin Laden's former bodyguard to face civilian trial in New York - Jul 14, 2010
- Osama's cook coming to New York to face charges in embassy bombing - May 22, 2009
- Large explosions rock army ammo bunker in Tanzanian city - Feb 17, 2011
- Large blasts rock army ammo bunker in Tanzanian city, casualties unknown - Feb 17, 2011
- US formally drops charges against Osama bin Laden - Jun 18, 2011
- Mastermind of US embassy bombings killed in Somalia - Jun 12, 2011
- Sobbing Osama ex-aide demands end to police cavity search - May 06, 2010
- New York trial for Guantanamo terrorist suspect Ahmed Ghailani - May 21, 2009
- Ferry with 250 people sinks off Tanzania - Jul 18, 2012
- 27 bodies found after Tanzania ferry capsizes - Jul 19, 2012
Tags: administration request, ahmed ghailani, al qaeda, august 7, east africa, election promise, embassies, eric holder, explosives, guantanamo detainee, high value detainees, justice department, kenya, mainland, murder charges, opposition, osama bin laden, us attorney general, us embassy bombings, us government