‘Great Escape’ Veteran, Jack Harrison, Dies At The Age Of 97June 9th, 2010 - 6:57 pm ICT by Pen Men At Work
The family of Jack Harrison has declared that he has died at the age of 97. Who was Jack Harrison? He was the survivor of the ‘Great Escape’ conspiracy by Allied inmates in a German prison in World War 2. Harrison passed away on Friday at the Erskine habitat of veterans in Bishopton, Scotland.
Harrison, as one among the camp’s gardeners, assisted in the clearance of the dirt exhumed from three escape tunnels. He was in the 98th position on the catalog of some 200 prisoners selected to make the escape on March 24, 1944. However, only 76 fled before Nazi guards became aware of the running off and raised the alarm.
Only three males were able to reach a secure position. German dictator, Adolf Hitler, commanded the death sentence of the 50 recaptured escapers. 23 others were sent back to detention.
British news reports uttered that Harrison was supposed to be the final survivor of the conspiracy. However, this supposition could not be verified. Over and above the 200 males, who acquired spots in the escape line via a drawing, others were also caught up in planning.
Harrison asserted in a discussion last year with the Scottish Sun broadsheet that it was a lucky thing in camouflage that he never succeeded in escaping as most of the escaped prisoners were gunned down by the Nazis. But Harrison declared that their chief intention wasn’t merely to run away. It was to outmaneuver the Germans and obtain an immense honorable triumph. The escape put down Hitler and handed the Nazis an injured nose.
Of the three tunnels hollowed out by prisoners, two had been discovered by German security personnel and closed prior to the escape endeavor. When the escape was unearthed, Harrison proclaimed that he had to speedily burn up his camouflage as a Siemens engineer and readopt his prison attire.
Harrison happened to be a Royal Air Force pilot, who was brought down and seized in November 1942 on his initial undertaking, which was an attack on the Dutch port of Den Helder. Harrison was transported to Stalag Luft III jail in close proximity to Sagan in eastern Germany.
- 'Great Escape' veteran Jack Harrison dies - Jun 09, 2010
- Airman involved in World War-II prison escape bid dead - Jun 08, 2010
- Great Escape Veteran Jack Harrison Dead at 97 - Jun 09, 2010
- Poles outraged over demand for Nazi memorial at UK soldiers' gravesite - Apr 20, 2011
- Entrance to tunnel used for 'The Great Escape' revealed - Jan 19, 2011
- Scottish hero of Great Escape dies at 97 - Apr 29, 2009
- Remarkable 'The Great Escape' drawing resurfaces - Feb 05, 2010
- Remains of Hitler's deputy cremated in Germany - Jul 22, 2011
- Remains of Hitler's deputy to be destroyed - Jul 21, 2011
- War hero who inspired movie The Great Escape dead - Mar 18, 2010
- 'Even German civilians took part in killing concentration camp survivors' - Jan 18, 2011
- Hitler's heroic exploits in World War I 'were a Nazi propaganda myth' - Mar 14, 2011
- Hitler ordered creation of Nazi UFOs to destroy London, New York - Apr 26, 2011
- 'Great Escape' artist of World War II dies at 95 - Oct 03, 2008
- Hitler was a great man, says Holocaust denier David Irving - Sep 28, 2010
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,