Giuseppe Garibaldi’s body to be exhumedJuly 27th, 2012 - 9:33 pm ICT by Aishwarya Bhatt
Vicenza, July 27 (THAINDIAN NEWS) Doubts have been raised about where the body of Giuseppe Garibaldi was buried. Garibaldi is a military leader of the 19th century and he is said to have played a very big role in getting Italy to unite.
Garibaldi’s descendants have made claims that the tomb where he is said to have been buried might not contain his body. The body is going to be exhumed in September. The descendants say that the tomb, which is located near Sardinia, might have been tampered with.
The culture ministry of Italy backed the request that was made by Garibaldi’s descendants to have his body exhumed and this led to the relevant authorities agreeing to have the body exhumed.
Anita Garibaldi who is a great grand daughter of Giuseppe Garibaldi said that the exhumation is the only way for them to know the truth about what exactly happened to his body. She says that it is very important that they find out what happened.
Anita says that she thinks it is important for Garibaldi to be preserved for the future because he played a very big part in the history of Italy. She goes on to say that if they do not find him there they should stop lying to tourists who come to visit Italy and are told that the tomb contains the body of Garibaldi.
- Exhume unmarked grave in Kashmir: Rights panel - Jul 05, 2012
- Rare 1,100-year-old murals on display in China - Jun 21, 2011
- 4,000-year-old tomb found in Egypt - May 29, 2012
- Leave Mona Lisa's remains in peace, pleads royal relative - Apr 29, 2011
- Tombs bear secrets of 2,000-year old Tibetan kingdom - Aug 24, 2012
- 5,000-year-old tomb complex unearthed on Orkney Islands - Nov 01, 2010
- Was Alexander the Great's half-brother buried at Vergina? - Sep 09, 2010
- Ancient Mayan Tomb Found In Forest Of Guatemala - Jul 24, 2010
- Medical student's body exhumed in Madhya Pradesh - Jan 29, 2012
- Remains of 'Mona Lisa' to be dug up - Apr 06, 2011
- Ancient human remains found in Sardinia - Oct 11, 2011
- In death, they were together - Oct 23, 2011
- Yasser Afrafat's body to be exhumed - Jul 04, 2012
- Tomb robber finds 'final resting place of Caligula' - Jan 19, 2011
- Driven by superstition, they dig out dead woman's body - Jun 06, 2011
Tags: 19th century, anita garibaldi, body exhumed, culture ministry, descendants, doubts, exhumation, garibaldi, giuseppe garibaldi, grand daughter, history of italy, military leader, relevant authorities, sardinia, tourists, truth about, vicenza