Giotto Frescoes Reseen In Their Glory With UV LightMarch 9th, 2010 - 8:55 pm ICT by GD
By Ranjan Bhaduri
Florence, Mar 9, (THAINDIAN NEWS) Those who lament over paintings and frescoes in their possession losing color and detail owing to ravages of time need not lose their sleep anymore. Recently, the frescoes in Santa Croce church of Florence were given ultraviolet light treatment which enabled the restorers to rediscover the lost detail and color in these artworks. The frescoes were originally made in the 14thcentury. The frescoes in the chapel include the depictions of various biblical events. The restorers found the ultraviolet technique purely by chance when they were toying with other ideas. After they threw UV light on the frescoes, a lot of image detail became visible.
The frescoes in questions were said to be admired by master artist Michelangelo. The UV Technique is the brainchild of Opificio delle Pietre Dure, which is a famous art restoration facility. It makes use of a non invasive restoration procedure. The frescoes that were exposed to UV light were made by Giotto di Bondone of Italy. The fact that the images were actually three dimensional, became clear after exposing frescoes to the UV light. The research team could detect the hitherto unseen facial expression in those frescoes.
However, the viewers may not be able to see the frescoes in UV Light, as excessive exposure to UV light can actually cause damage to the frescoes. The discovery can do wonders for the restoration of several similar artworks that lie in neglect in several churches and chapels worldwide. These frescoes were referred in E. M. Forster’s novel ‘A room With A View’.
- Giotto Frescoes & Ultraviolet Light: Shining Glory Revealed - Mar 09, 2010
- Did Michelangelo paint brain in God's throat in Sistine Chapel fresco? - Jul 29, 2010
- Michelangelo hid anatomical sketches in Sistine Chapel to attack Church - Jun 17, 2010
- Did Michelangelo paint human brain stem in God? - Jul 21, 2010
- Did Michelangelo hide anatomy lesson in Sistine Chapel? - Jul 20, 2010
- UV light good for veggies - Aug 08, 2011
- Sweat, breath damaging Sistine Chapel's frescoes - Sep 04, 2010
- 100 works of renaissance artist Caravaggio found - Jul 07, 2012
- Chinese museum to replicate Michelangelo's sculptures - Jun 20, 2011
- Oldest portraits of Jesus Christ's apostles discovered - Jun 23, 2010
- Michelangelo's self-portrait found hidden in his final painting - Jul 02, 2009
- Strawberry extract protects skin against UV rays - Aug 05, 2012
- Michelangelo's David 'held secret weapon in right hand' - Nov 20, 2010
- New 'pigment noise' technology could identify century-old colours - Sep 06, 2010
- Flourescent lamps hurt eyes - Oct 23, 2011
Tags: art restoration, brainchild, e m forster, excessive exposure, facial expression, famous art, frescoes, giotto di bondone, image detail, master artist, opificio delle pietre dure, ranjan, ravages of time, restoration facility, restoration procedure, restorers, room with a view, santa croce church, ultraviolet light treatment, uv light