Giant Sinkhole Formed At Downtown Guatemala CityJune 1st, 2010 - 3:47 pm ICT by GD
By Meena Kar
Guatemala City, Guatemala, June 1, (THAINDIAN NEWS) As the massive tropical storm Agatha lashed over Central America on Monday and resulted to the death of more than 100 people, a giant sinkhole of around 60 meter deep was created by it. The sinkhole had reportedly engulfed a three storey building. Though the exact reason of the formation of such a sinkhole at the street intersection is still not known, the authorities had previously blamed the heavy rain that was brought by the Agatha for being the cause of the formation of the crater.
The giant sinkhole at downtown Guatemala City has become a sensation and cause of fear as well for the resident. The 30-m wide sinkhole according to the local reports, has taken the life of one resident. The residents of that area are blaming the formation of the sinkhole to the faulty underground drainage system. The authorities later on Monday said that it will carry out investigation to find out the exact cause of the formation of such a sinkhole.
However, this is not for the first time that such a massive sinkhole has opened up in the city of Guatemala. In April 2007, a giant sinkhole was formed in the same area reportedly that led to the death of three people. As for the storm, Guatemala is the worst affected country of the Central America that has already confirmed 92 deaths. Officials fear that the death toll due to the storm might increase further as rescue works are being carried out. As of yet almost 10,000 people have been evacuated by the rescue workers and stationed at a safe destination.
- Guatemalan woman finds sinkhole under her bed - Jul 21, 2011
- Sinkhole in Guatemala City swallows an entire building - Jun 02, 2010
- Sinkhole In Guatemala Swallows Buildings, Cause Unknown - Jun 02, 2010
- Toll in storm Agatha climbs to 184 - Jun 03, 2010
- Toll in storm Agatha rises to 100 (Third Lead) - May 31, 2010
- Guatemala sinkhole not a sinkhole, says expert - Jun 03, 2010
- 73 killed in Guatemala tropical storm - May 31, 2010
- Brooklyn sinkhole tries to swallow cars - Aug 03, 2012
- UN prepares to aid Central Americans affected by tropical storm Agatha - Jun 02, 2010
- Four held as Shanghai blaze toll rises to 53 (Lead) - Nov 16, 2010
- After a volcano, Guatemala struck by the tropical storm 'Agatha' - May 30, 2010
- Tropical storm Agatha pours over Guatemala and El Salvador - Jun 02, 2010
- Tropical storm Agatha kills 46 in Central America - May 31, 2010
- Nine killed in South Korean fire - May 06, 2012
- 42 killed in Shanghai high-rise blaze (Lead) - Nov 15, 2010
Tags: agatha, authorities, cause of fear, central america, death toll, deaths, exact cause, exact reason, giant sinkhole, guatemala city guatemala, heavy rain, kar, meena, sensation, street intersection, tropical storm, underground drainage system