Giant Bluefin tuna sold for £472,000January 5th, 2012 - 9:58 pm ICT by Aishwarya Bhatt
Tokyo, Jan 5 (THAINDIAN NEWS) Tuna is a major business in Japan. A restaurateur gave out £472,000 for a 593 lb bluefin tuna.
The transaction took place at the Tokyo’s Tsukiji fish market during an auction. The amount paid means the fish has become the most expensive tuna in history. The auction opens the year in the country where tuna is treasured.
Sushi Zanmai owner Kiyoshi Kimura outbid all the other competitors to win the right to the fish. He revealed that he had been beaten to the contest in the past and was determined to make it right as he entered this contest. Subsequently, he was able to beat the contest from all the other competitors including foreigners to take the fish to his restaurant.
Rather than a personal feat, Kimura said the tuna is a gift to the entire Japanese country. He hopes that it will console the country as they recover from the devastating tsunami that devastated the country last March.
Kimura told newsmen that, “Rather than having it taken away overseas, my wish is for Japanese people to be able to enjoy good tuna together. Despite the March 11 earthquake and the sluggish economy, I want to lift up Japan’s spirits and urge people to work hard together.”
- Giant tuna fetches record $396K in a Tokyo auction - Jan 06, 2011
- Hong Kong diners urged to boycott rare $175,000 tuna - Jan 06, 2010
- Giant Tuna Fetches Record $396K in Tokyo - Jan 06, 2011
- Quake hits imports of Japanese fish for sushi - Apr 06, 2011
- Japan happy with the rejection of the proposal to ban the Atlantic bluefin tuna - Mar 22, 2010
- Japan Relieved At Blue-fin Tuna Ban's Failure - Mar 22, 2010
- Fukushima-contaminated tuna caught off San Diego coast - May 29, 2012
- Japan Vehemently Opposed To Atlantic Bluefin Tuna Ban - Mar 18, 2010
- Bluefin Tuna Ban Sparks Controversy Worldwide - Mar 18, 2010
- Japan Plays A Pivotal Role Behind Failed Tuna Ban - Mar 22, 2010
- Bluefin tuna near extinction, says Greenpeace - Jun 10, 2010
- Investigation probe reveals that the Tuna black market is worth billions of dollars - Nov 08, 2010
- Sony expects to earn 10 percent of global business from India - Apr 25, 2012
- Japanese cuisine and liquor showcased at Matsuri festival - Mar 31, 2012
- Japan pop group enthrals Beijing - Sep 17, 2011
Tags: auction, business in japan, devastating tsunami, earthquake, foreigners, giant bluefin tuna, japanese country, kiyoshi, march 11, newsmen, restaurateur, sluggish economy, spirits, sushi zanmai, tokyo, tsukiji fish market, tsunami