Georgia removes Stalin’s statueJune 25th, 2010 - 10:05 pm ICT by Aishwarya Bhatt
Gori, Jun 25 (THAINDIAN NEWS) The local authorities at Georgia have removed the bronze statue of Joseph Stalin. The statue was situated in his hometown of Gori. The statue was removed in the dead of the night, so that there would be no hue and cry when it was being dismantled.
Deputy Foreign Minister Giga Bokeria said that, “Stalin’s monument in Gori was dismantled overnight.” He also added that the government was ready to talk about the reasons why such a drastic step was taken. He also divulged that government officials would hold a news conference on the topic on Friday.
The majestic bronze statue was 20 foot tall and it was installed in the early 1950’s in the central square of Gori, as a tribute to the great dictator. However in recent times, it wasn’t taken very well, and there had been several hints by the government that they were in favor of removing it.
However the inhabitants of Gori were very proud of the dictator, and had vehemently opposed all such plans to remove the statue. This may be one of the reasons why the statue was removed in the dead of the night, so that the local residents couldn’t oppose.
- Stalin's statue removed from his birthplace - Jun 25, 2010
- Georgia Removes Stalin Statue in Dead of Night - Jun 25, 2010
- Stalin death mask goes on sale - Jan 24, 2012
- Virginia residents protest installation of Stalin memorial bust - Jul 17, 2010
- Touchdown Jesus statue struck by lightning - Jun 17, 2010
- City Of Nijmegen Plans To Hide Bronze Statues After Robbery - Nov 11, 2010
- Finally, covers go off Mayawati statues (Lead) - Mar 04, 2012
- The City Of Nijmegen Hides Its Statues From Robbers - Nov 11, 2010
- Stalin's death mask sold for 3,600 pounds - Jan 25, 2012
- Statue of Barack Obama is back, installed in a Jakarta school that he used to attend - Feb 23, 2010
- DMK moots filling cabinet posts, alliance - Jul 24, 2011
- Lenin's statue to be restored in Russia - Apr 01, 2010
- Stalin statue to be installed in Russia - Apr 29, 2010
- Gaddafi's chemical weapons found - Nov 15, 2011
- Mother Teresa shelter razed in Moscow - Sep 20, 2011
Tags: bronze statue, central square, drastic step, foreign minister, government officials, great dictator, hometown, hue and cry, inhabitants, joseph stalin, local authorities, news conference, tribute