Gay Pastors ReinstatedMay 5th, 2010 - 6:42 pm ICT by GD
By Gina Gomez
Chicago, May 5, (THAINDIAN NEWS) An Evangelical Lutheran Church in Chicago has called back two of its clergymen to work under them even though the two are partners, committed to a gay relationship. Their case is a landmark achieved in the policies of the church the world over as it marks the first-time acceptance of a same sex couple working as pastors within the church.
Rev. Bradley Schmeling and Rev. Darin Easler were into a relationship, for which they were also dragged to court by the church authorities in Chicago. The long debate about whether the two should be allowed to retain their positions or not, has finally come to an end with the court announcing the verdict that both men can resume their roles as clergymen in the Chicago-based church. Earlier when Rev. Bradley Schmeling confessed that he was in a committed relationship with Rev. Darin Easler he was immediately taken to court and removed from his post of clergy in the church. However his congregation in Atlanta decided to keep him as pastor.
In a statement released by Rev. Bradley Schmeling, he said that he was very happy with the decision taken by the court. A Christian church will now become a more broad-minded institution, including everybody within its fold, feels the clergy. He remembers how the others in the church had extended a very warm welcome to both men, greeting them back into their folds with open arms.
However all is still not well! The new policy has aroused criticism among the more orthodox communities. The Bishop is scheduled to meet leaders from over the world in the next couple of weeks.
- Gay Pastors Reinstated In Atlanta - May 05, 2010
- Gay Pastor's Reinstatement Creates Headlines - May 08, 2010
- Gay Pastor And His Partner Reinstated By The Lutheran Denomination - May 08, 2010
- Lutheran Church welcomes Hindu leader on Christmas Eve - Dec 27, 2010
- Bishop Eddie Long sued by 2 men - Sep 22, 2010
- Fugitive Catholic priest arrested in Tamil Nadu - Mar 17, 2012
- Pussy Riot members found guilty in Moscow (Lead) - Aug 17, 2012
- Palestinian elected head of global Lutheran church body - Jul 24, 2010
- Pastor who banned 'infidelity' Facebook had threesome with wife, church aide - Nov 22, 2010
- Iranian ayatollah calls for arrest of US Koran-burning pastor - Sep 09, 2010
- 9/11 Koran burning pastor accused of using supporters as unpaid labour - Sep 09, 2010
- Crystal Cathedral's senior pastor Sheila Schuller Coleman is all set to start a new church - Mar 12, 2012
- Hindus laud Lutheran Church for offering free yoga instruction - Sep 26, 2010
- British gays to be allowed to wed in churches - Nov 04, 2011
- Muslim or Christian? Religion row dogs Obama - Aug 21, 2010
Tags: bradley schmeling, church authorities, clergy, clergymen, committed relationship, evangelical lutheran church, gay relationship, gina gomez, landmark, orthodox communities, pastors, sex couple, warm welcome