Gas prices up to $4.10June 23rd, 2008 - 12:17 pm ICT by Amrit Rashmisrisethi
Gasoline in the U.S. costs $4.10 per gallon on average, but the price may be at a peak.
A pledge to Saudi Arabia to pump more oil in response to consumer countries’ requests, according to Trilby Lundberg, editor of the nationwide Lundberg survey for about 7,000 gas stations.
“I suspect that oil prices have peaked and will flip further because of this news and the physical addition of more oil on the market in July,” Lundberg said. “This gives a strong chance that pump prices are peaking now, or may already have done so.”
A barrel of oil has doubled in price over the past year, stoking inflation, triggering protests from Asia to Europe, and compounding the financial pain of U.S. consumers already grappling with a sagging housing market, job uncertainty and soaring food costs.
Top officials, policy makers and oil company executives met on Sunday in Jeddah, Saudi Arabia, for emergency talks on how to bring prices down.
“Crude oil prices may spike at any moment from existing trouble in areas including Nigeria, or from some unforeseen hit to global supply,” Lundberg said. “This may sound optimistic, (but) it seems likely at this moment as the meeting in Jeddah, Saudi Arabia is being concluded, that oil prices may have peaked and may drift down.”
One common reason cited for the rise of oil prices is soaring demand from developing economies such as India and China, whose emerging middle classes are gobbling up more oil.
- Gas prices see biggest jump of the year - Aug 13, 2012
- Gas prices decline & stand at $3.29 per gallon - Dec 05, 2011
- Wikileaks: Saudi oil reserves running low - Feb 10, 2011
- Obama vows to tap new energy sources - Feb 24, 2012
- Saudi oil stock exaggerated by 40 percent: WikiLeaks - Feb 10, 2011
- Price of Gas head northward - Nov 22, 2009
- Obama blames soaring gas prices for approval ratings dip - Apr 23, 2011
- Kerala Tourism to hold first-ever road show in Saudi Arabia - May 04, 2012
- Obama seeks to curb speculation in oil market - Apr 18, 2012
- Gas Prices Spike Further Damaging the Economy - Dec 07, 2010
- US biodiesel production goes up - May 08, 2012
- WiliLeaks cables state Saudi oil reserves may be overstated by almost 40 percent - Feb 10, 2011
- Obama wants new 'Made in US' technologies - May 07, 2011
- British petrol prices hit record high - Mar 02, 2012
- Britannia may go for 6 percent overall price hike - Dec 17, 2011