Gallipoli War Hero’s Medals To Be AuctionedNovember 20th, 2010 - 8:08 pm ICT by GD
By Meena Kar
London, Nov 20, (THAINDIAN NEWS) Medals that was awarded to an Edinburgh war hero are being put under auction at Spink auction house in Bloomsbury, London. Edinburgh-born Lieutenant Robert Lamb Dick, who earned his name as one of the most competent war heroes in the deadly First World War’s severe Battle of Gallipoli was awarded with four medals.
The war lasted from April 1915 to January 1916 in northern Turkey, at the time when Robert Lamb Dick was only 30-years-old. The war left 130,784 dead and a further 261,554 wounded. Robert Lamb Dick was wounded four times during this war. Once, when he landed in the war field in 1915 and then again at the Battle of Lone Pine on August 8 1915. Yet the undaunted hero did not fall apart and continued to serve his nation. The four medals, that he received for his undaunted service is expected to fetch 300 and 350. The four war medals constitute of Star medal, that is given to all British Servicemen who served the nation during the First World War; British War medal, that is awarded for the serviceman’s contribution to the First World war; his Victory Medal and Queen’s South Africa Medal for his service in the Boer War in 1902, for his service in Cape Colony, Orange Free State and South Africa.
He served with the 1st Battalion at Gallipoli, With Australian Imperial Force, when the First World War started in 1914. Although he survived the disaster of the World War, what happened to him after that has been a mystery. 95 years later, his assets are going under the hammer.
- Victoria Cross medals sold for $433,000 - Jul 20, 2012
- Rescued World War I tortoise needs new home - Aug 11, 2012
- Olympic boxing champion Spinks dies at 74 - Apr 28, 2012
- Medal Of Honor Recipient Salvatore Giunta Recognized In Super Bowl - Feb 07, 2011
- US President Barack Obama to bestow Medal of Honor on Staff Sgt. Salvatore Giunta - Sep 12, 2010
- Medals of soldier who fled in nude from Colditz up for grabs - May 04, 2011
- Peter Jackson plans movie on Gallipoli - Dec 17, 2009
- D.K. Joshi named new Indian Navy chief (Lead) - Jun 05, 2012
- 'Museum under the sea' discovered at Gallipoli - Jun 21, 2010
- Bullet removed from leg after 40 years - Apr 14, 2012
- America Salutes Audie Murphy Once Again - Nov 12, 2010
- Admiral Joshi is new Indian Navy chief (Lead) - Aug 31, 2012
- Prince Charles questions why blacks, Indians not recognised as UK war heroes - Jul 21, 2010
- Indian army kicks off motorbike expedition to pay homage to World War II martyrs - Aug 20, 2010
- Actor G.D. Spradlin dies - Jul 27, 2011
Tags: auction house, australian imperial force, bloomsbury london, boer war, british servicemen, british war medal, first world war, gallipoli war, lone pine, northern turkey, orange free state, robert lamb, s south, serviceman, south africa medal, star medal, victory medal, war hero, war heroes, war medals