French want to ban people from swimming in the ChannelNovember 2nd, 2010 - 10:05 pm ICT by Aishwarya Bhatt
Paris, Nov 2 (THAINDIAN NEWS) French authorities have announced their plans to ban people from swimming in the English Channel. The French coastguards claim that swimming in the channel has now become dangerous due to the increased vessel traffic on the channel now. More ships are now using the Dover to Calais route on the channel and that makes it very dangerous to swim on that part of the channel.
Swimming in the English Channel has been a sporting challenge for several people since the 1800s but when comedian David Williams recently completed the challenge in a charitable event, the number of people trying to complete the challenge has increased dramatically.
French authorities believe that the increased number of people trying to cross the channel means that the possibility of accidents have gone up so there is the need to the ban. Critics however maintain that the ban is not necessary because the various swimming associations that organize the swims carefully organize the event and as a result the possibility of accidents cannot be used as an excuse to ban the events. Previous ban by the French authorities was lifted after negotiations some 17 years back.
- French Coastguards Wish to Ban People Swimming the Channel - Nov 03, 2010
- Frenchman with no arms and legs prepares to swim English Channel - Jun 01, 2010
- Brit woman becomes slowest person to swim English Channel - Jul 28, 2010
- Limbless Man Philippe Croizon Swims English Channel 10 Hours Early! - Sep 20, 2010
- Migrant ship sinks near Greece - Jan 16, 2011
- Limbless Frenchman Philippe Croizon Swims Across English Channel - Sep 20, 2010
- Woman sets world record, slowest to swim English Channel - Jul 28, 2010
- Man,70, crosses English Channel in just 18 hours - Aug 31, 2011
- Three Illegal Immigrants Nabbed By Authorities In Chemical Lorry - Sep 04, 2010
- 42-yr-old Frenchman aiming to become first limbless person to swim the English Channel - Sep 10, 2010
- Limbless man swims across English Channel - Sep 21, 2010
- World's oldest sea-going boat to sail again - Mar 06, 2012
- Gay activists fined in Russia - Apr 25, 2012
- Limbless French man to swim English Channel next week - Sep 10, 2010
- Irishman Paraic Casey dies while attempting to swim across the English Channel - Jul 23, 2012