French diplomat mauled by shark while kite surfingSeptember 12th, 2011 - 8:15 pm ICT by Aishwarya Bhatt
Port Moresby, Sept 12 (THAINDIAN NEWS) A 30-year-old French diplomat is at the emergency room following a shark attack in Papua New Guinea. Thomas Viot who works for the European Union as an economist was surfing when he was attacked by the creature. The incident happened in Port Moresby which is the capital of the island.
Viot was rushed to the hospital in Darwin, Australia where officials carried emergency procedure on him. The shark attacked Viot while he was surfing in the middle of the sea. He managed to skate back to the beach where the locals rushed to his aid and took him to the hospital.
Witnesses say large chunk of Viot’s leg was chopped off following the attack. He lost considerable amount of blood but he managed to skate back to safety.
He later told reporters that, “I don’t know how I managed it after the attack, but somehow I succeeded in riding back to the shore with my kite surf.”
At the hospital, Viot revealed that the doctors plan to have surgery on his leg to repair the damage. He has promised that when he recovers from the accident, he will go right back to the sea and skate again. He revealed that this is his second attack in the year.
He was attacked by a stingray earlier in the year.
- Surfer falls into shark jaws - Mar 22, 2012
- Magnitude-7.3 quake jolts Papua New Guinea - Dec 14, 2011
- Stranded kite surfer survives sharks' attack - Mar 10, 2012
- South African beach dubbed world's deadliest - Jan 16, 2012
- Quake hits Papua New Guinea - Aug 21, 2011
- 6.6 quake hits Papua New Guinea (Second Lead) - Jun 16, 2011
- 6.7-magnitude earthquake strikes Papua New Guinea - Mar 22, 2012
- Magnitude 6.6 quake hits New Britain region, Papua New Guinea (Lead) - Jun 16, 2011
- Santa Barbara Beaches Closed After Lucas Ransom's Death - Oct 25, 2010
- Dozens feared missing after landslide in Papua New Guinea - Jan 24, 2012
- British man loses legs to great white after ignoring warnings - Sep 29, 2011
- Man needs 300 stitches after shark attack - Jul 27, 2010
- Surfer Stephen King has a lucky escape from shark attack - Dec 12, 2011
- Strong earthquake shakes Papua New Guinea, no damage - Aug 20, 2012
- Four tourists mauled by shark at Egyptian resort - Dec 02, 2010
Tags: chunk, darwin australia, doctors, economist, emergency procedure, emergency room, european union, french diplomat, kite surf, kite surfing, locals, papua new guinea, port moresby, shark attack, stingray, viot