French Coastguards Wish to Ban People Swimming the ChannelNovember 3rd, 2010 - 2:27 am ICT by Angela Kaye Mason
Nov 2 (THAINDIAN NEWS) People have been challenging nature and swimming the English Channel since the nineteenth century, but now the French Coastguards wish to have a ban put on those activities and prohibit anyone from swimming the famous area.
The reason for their proposal is that the twenty one mile swim which goes between Calais and Dover is more and more dangerous with more ships coming through there. There have also been a great deal more people attempting the swim since David WIlliams did so for a charity event.
The coastguards are afraid these conditions are only asking for trouble, and more accidents are sure to come. They want the swimming attempts to be banned for safety reasons, but the English disagree.
The channel swimming associations of the British say that their festivities are very safe, and well organised, and that there is no reason for alarm.
The French have banned swimming there before, seventeen years ago, but later recanted due to negotiations with those swimming associations.
- French want to ban people from swimming in the Channel - Nov 02, 2010
- Brit woman becomes slowest person to swim English Channel - Jul 28, 2010
- Woman sets world record, slowest to swim English Channel - Jul 28, 2010
- Limbless Frenchman Philippe Croizon Swims Across English Channel - Sep 20, 2010
- Three Illegal Immigrants Nabbed By Authorities In Chemical Lorry - Sep 04, 2010
- Limbless Man Philippe Croizon Swims English Channel 10 Hours Early! - Sep 20, 2010
- Man,70, crosses English Channel in just 18 hours - Aug 31, 2011
- Migrant ship sinks near Greece - Jan 16, 2011
- Drunk British students cause havoc on boat trip - Apr 09, 2012
- Frenchman with no arms and legs prepares to swim English Channel - Jun 01, 2010
- French scupper Dunkirk-style effort to bring home Britons - Apr 19, 2010
- Irishman Paraic Casey dies while attempting to swim across the English Channel - Jul 23, 2012
- Movie Review: Robin Hood - Jun 11, 2010
- French fishermen block ports, shut down Channel ferries - Apr 15, 2009
- Brit teen becomes first person to 'wakeboard' across English Channel - Sep 07, 2010