Four UN peacekeepers still unaccounted for in DarfurApril 16th, 2010 - 1:59 am ICT by BNO News
UNITED NATIONS (BNO NEWS) – The United Nations said Thursday that four South African peacekeepers that went missing on Sunday are still unaccounted for.
The peacekeepers have been working with the joint African Union-United Nations force in the volatile western Sudanese region of Darfur. The mission stated that they could have been seized by kidnappers or carjackers.
The unarmed police advisers’ last movement was reported at 16:00 local time on Sunday. The group, consisting of two women and two men, had just departed their team site outside Nyala, the capital of South Darfur state, on a seven-kilometer journey back to their private quarters.
The AU-UN peacekeeping mission in Darfur (UNAMID) has continued to mobilize all its resources in the region and is working in close cooperation with the Sudanese Government and local authorities in the search for the missing peacekeepers.
“Despite an all-out effort on every front, the peacekeepers and their vehicle remain unaccounted for,” said Ibrahim Gambari, Joint Special Representative of UNAMID. “Our concern is that that we are now facing a carjacking and abduction situation,” he said in a statement released Wednesday.
“Notwithstanding recent media reports, we have not been contacted by any party nor have we received any claim or demand of any sort,” Gambari added.
- Four UN peacekeepers killed in West Darfur ambush - Oct 05, 2012
- Three peacekeepers killed in Sudan's Darfur - Oct 11, 2011
- UN peacekeeper killed in armed attack at IDP camp in South Darfur - Aug 13, 2012
- Kidnapped Briton released in Sudan - May 31, 2012
- Ban Ki-moon expresses relief after the release of four UN peacekeepers - Apr 28, 2010
- CARE International worker killed in South Darfur - Jan 09, 2011
- One thousand ex-combatants to lay down arms in West Darfur - Apr 18, 2011
- African Union-United Nations in Darfur reports fighting in Sudan - Mar 03, 2010
- British government 'strongly condemns' the kidnapping of two peacekeepers in Darfur - Aug 17, 2010
- Heavy rain collapses buildings in Darfur, killing 20 soldiers - Aug 03, 2011
- U.S. Senator John Kerry visits Sudan ahead of south's referendum - Jan 08, 2011
- Al Arabiya: Jordanian U.N. peacekeepers abducted in South Darfur released - Aug 17, 2010
- UN reports surge in Darfur fighting, high fatalities - Jun 15, 2010
- UN peacekeeping force in Darfur denies hijacking of Russian helicopter - Jul 28, 2010
- Russians kidnapped in Darfur as American released: UN - Aug 31, 2010
Tags: abduction, bno, carjacking, cooperation, darfur, ibrahim gambari, kidnappers, kilometer journey, local authorities, local time, private quarters, sudanese government, two men, two women, un peacekeeping mission, unamid, united nations