Four Americans killed in Bahamas plane crashMarch 27th, 2012 - 7:45 pm ICT by BNO News
TREASURE CAY, Bahamas (BNO NEWS) — Four Americans were killed on Sunday afternoon when a small plane crashed at a small airport in the Abaco Islands in the northern Bahamas, local police said on Monday. There were no survivors.
The accident occurred at around 1:33 p.m. local time on Sunday when the six-seat single-engine Piper PA-32R aircraft was attempting to take-off from Treasure Cay Airport, a small airport in North Abaco district on the Abaco Islands. The aircraft was scheduled to fly to Fort Pierce in Florida.
A spokesperson for the Royal Bahamas Police Force said the aircraft crashed into bushes between the end of the runway and S.C. Bootle Highway which runs adjacent to the airport. Four Americans, two males and two females, were on board the aircraft, but there were no survivors.
Police identified the victims as 60-year-old Gregory Schwartzenberger and 56-year-old Janice Schwartzenberger of Neptune Beach, Florida, and 61-year-old Dennis Sartoris and 56-year-old Janie Sartoris of Jacksonville, Florida.
Air traffic controllers did not immediately realize that the aircraft had crashed and only found out when personnel was sent to check on smoke that was rising from the area. Fire and Crash Rescue teams then quickly responded to the scene and found the aircraft fully engulfed in flames. The fire was quickly extinguished.
It was not immediately clear what caused Sunday’s accident. “Police along with Firefighters and Civil Aviation officials are presently on scene conducting their investigations,” a police spokesperson said in a statement. “Active investigations continue.”
In October 2010, eight people were killed when a Cessna 402 aircraft crashed into Lake Killarney after taking off from Lynden Pindling International Airport on the island of New Providence in the Bahamas. The aircraft was on a flight to San Salvador, located in the southern Bahamas.
- Small passenger plane crashes in eastern Canada, killing 4 - Jan 12, 2012
- Small passenger plane crashes during bad weather in Nepal, killing 16 - Sep 25, 2011
- Six killed in Swiss plane crash - Apr 30, 2012
- Bodies of missing South Korean pilots found months after crash - Oct 30, 2011
- Tropical storm Bret forms near the Bahamas, watch in effect - Jul 18, 2011
- Passenger plane crashes in Russia's Far East, killing 10 - Sep 13, 2012
- Five Colombian cops die in plane crash - Jul 29, 2011
- Pilot dies after mid air collision in UK - Jul 05, 2011
- Small plane crashes after take-off in South Dakota, killing 4 - Dec 10, 2011
- Two dead in small plane crash in Austria - Aug 22, 2011
- 13 Indians die in Nepal air crash (Third Lead) - May 14, 2012
- Small plane crash in Eglin, Florida kills 2 - Jun 24, 2011
- Military plane crashes in western Nepal, killing 6 - Oct 18, 2011
- Five die in Los Angeles-area plane crash - Mar 17, 2011
- Plane with 127 on board crashes in Pakistan, no survivors (Night Lead) - Apr 21, 2012
Tags: 32r aircraft, abaco islands, air traffic controllers, aviation officials, bahamas police, cessna 402 aircraft, crash rescue, island of new providence, lake killarney, lynden pindling international airport, neptune beach florida, northern bahamas, piper pa, plane crash, police spokesperson, sartoris, southern bahamas, treasure cay airport, treasure cay bahamas, two females