Former U.S. diplomat arrested in the Philippines on South Korean fraud accusationsOctober 8th, 2010 - 11:27 pm ICT by BNO News
MANILA, PHILIPPINES (BNO NEWS) — Former U.S. diplomat Tomas Dario was arrested in the Philippines after fleeing from South Korea while being investigated on fraud accusations, South Korea’s Foreign Ministry said on Friday.
Tomas, a 51-year-old Filipino-American, was working for the U.S. Department of Homeland Security in the southern South Korean port of Busan but fled the country about seven months ago without reporting to the U.S. Embassy as investigations against him had been initiated.
The former diplomat - who is also wanted in California in relation to a $240,000 wire fraud - was arrested on Friday at a casino in Angeles City in northern Manila.
Tomas allegedly defrauded a South Korean widow, who is being identified only as Lee, out of 220 million won ($200,000) after convincing her to invest money she had received from an insurance settlement following her husband’s death in a traffic accident in a computer training school in the Philippines.
A U.S. federal grand jury charged Tomas with defrauding investors and could face up to 20 years in prison if convicted.
- US-S. Korea conducts joint military drill amid war threats from N. Korea - Jul 26, 2010
- North Korea releases U.S. citizen after more than 6 months - May 27, 2011
- North Korea all set to launch satellite: Official (Lead) - Apr 11, 2012
- More skeletons tumble out of Nepal's casino industry - Aug 01, 2011
- UNSC condemns North Korean rocket launch - Apr 17, 2012
- US, Philippines troops stage war games - Apr 25, 2012
- North Korea detains another US citizen - Apr 14, 2011
- North Korea to launch satellite (Lead) - Mar 16, 2012
- Dead Male Fetus Sighted In An Airplane's Bathroom At The Airport In Manila - Jan 05, 2011
- Filipino-German beauty queen killed in accident - Aug 22, 2010
- South says North Korea ready to carry out nuclear test - Apr 24, 2012
- Designer outfits for Filipino Olympians at London - Jun 20, 2012
- US, North Korean officials to meet over food aid - Mar 03, 2012
- North Korea military says to do its best to maintain peace with South Korea - Feb 24, 2011
- Two Indians among three abducted in Philippines rescued - Oct 17, 2010
Tags: accusations, angeles city, bno, dario, department of homeland, department of homeland security, diplomat, federal grand jury, filipino american, foreign ministry, insurance settlement, manila philippines, news former, port of busan, seven months, south korea, traffic accident, u s department, u s department of homeland security, wire fraud