Former Surgeon General Jocelyn Elders supports legalized potOctober 19th, 2010 - 9:55 pm ICT by Aishwarya Bhatt
Washington DC, Oct 19 (THAINDIAN NEWS) The issue of legalization of marijuana in California has generated a lot of debate.
The issue will be resolved in November when the state votes on the issue on an initiative known as Proposition 19.
Pro-Proposition 19 activists were seemingly boosted when Former Surgeon General in the United States, Jocelyn Elders revealed on CNN that she supports the legalization of marijuana in the state.
On Sunday, Elders told CNN that she doesn’t think marijuana is harmful and rather took a swipe at the fact that enforcement of the law that prohibit the use of marijuana just “criminalize young people”. She revealed that marijuana use was not causing any problems at all.
She seemed to have more trouble with alcohol that marijuana. Elders pointed out that marijuana is not addictive and pointed to the addictive nature of alcohol.
The comments were undeniably great for Proposition 19 supporters. They have long argued that the use of marijuana was not worth the amount being spent to stop its use. However opponents of the Proposition 19 do not agree and they argue that the drug has harmful effects on its users.
With these words coming from a former surgeon general, the case of the supporters of the legalization seems endorsed.
- Former Surgeon General Joycelyn Elders All For Legalization Of Pot - Oct 19, 2010
- Former Surgeon General Joycelyn Elders Says to Legalize Pot - Oct 19, 2010
- Former Surgeon General Joycelyn Elders Supports Pot Legalization - Oct 19, 2010
- California Citizens Reject Proposition 19 - Nov 03, 2010
- Proposition 19 To Take Effect Or Receive A Setback? - Nov 02, 2010
- California Voters Renounce Proposition 19 To Legalize Pot - Nov 04, 2010
- Use, misuse of alcohol and marijuana influenced by common set of genes - Dec 19, 2009
- Zach Galifianakis Smokes A Joint On "Real Time With Bill Maher" Show? - Nov 02, 2010
- Pot On The Cards For Mothers' Day? - May 09, 2010
- Brooke Mueller planning to go to extreme rehab Center in Mexico - Jul 19, 2011
- Actor Zach Galifianakis smokes marijuana on TV in support of Prop 19 - Nov 02, 2010
- New Study: Alcohol More Dangerous Than Heroin, Crack - Nov 02, 2010
- 'US college women gravitate towards hookah' - Jul 19, 2012
- Sarah Palin Advises Cops To Lay Off "Minimal Problem" of Marijuana - Jun 22, 2010
- As hookah becomes in, it raises health concerns (Lifestyle Feature) - May 06, 2012