Former Argentine President Kirchner dies of heart attackOctober 27th, 2010 - 9:27 pm ICT by BNO News
BUENOS AIRES (BNO NEWS) — Former Argentine President Nestor Kirchner died of a heart attack on Wednesday, a hospital official said. He was 60 years old.
Kirchner was rushed to Jose Formenti hospital in El Calafate, a town in the Patagonia region of Argentina, on early Wednesday morning after complaining of chest pain. He died shortly later, at 9.30 a.m. local time, as the result of what is believed to be a heart attack.
Kirchner had a history of cardiovascular disease and underwent successful emergency surgery on one of his carotid arteries in February. On September 12, he underwent a medical procedure to place a stent in one of his heart arteries.
Kirchner leaves two sons, Max, 32, and Florence, 19, from his marriage to Cristina Fernandez, whom he met while both were studying law at the University of La Plata, south of the capital of Buenos Aires. Both were members of the Peronism political movement in the 70’s.
He was three times the governor of Santa Fe province, before winning the presidency.
Kirchner, a national lawmaker, husband and top adviser of current President Cristina Fernandez, was one of the most influential politicians in the country and a potential presidential candidate for elections in October next year, although the ruling party had not yet decided on his candidate.
Kirchner, who served as the 54th President of Argentina from May 25, 2003 to December 10, 2007, was also serving as Secretary General of the Union of South American Nations at the time of his death.
- Former president Kirchner's death stuns Argentina - Oct 28, 2010
- Hospital: Former Argentine President Kirchner dead at 60 - Oct 27, 2010
- Ex-Argentina President Nestor Kirchner Passes Away At 60 - Oct 28, 2010
- Argentine president inherits $6.8 mn - Aug 08, 2012
- Former Argentine president Kirchner rushed to hospital, undergoing emergency surgery - Feb 08, 2010
- Argentine president recovering after cancer surgery - Jan 06, 2012
- Argentine transport minister resigns - Mar 08, 2012
- Argentine ruling party seeks blood donors for president - Jan 01, 2012
- Argentine government takes over train operator after crash - Feb 29, 2012
- UAE foreign minister visits Argentina - Mar 16, 2012
- Argentine president announces return of Formula One - Mar 15, 2012
- Argentine president gets good news - no cancer - Jan 08, 2012
- Argentine minister found dead at summit - Dec 21, 2011
- UN chief's plane diverted due to volcanic ashes - Jun 14, 2011
- More strokes, fewer heart attacks with carotid stents: Study - Oct 12, 2010
Tags: carotid arteries, chest pain, cristina fernandez, emergency surgery, formenti, former argentine president, heart arteries, heart attack, history of cardiovascular disease, la plata, lawmaker, medical procedure, nestor kirchner, patagonia region, president nestor kirchner, president of argentina, presidential candidate, ruling party, stent, studying law