Flesh-eating bacteria victim Aimee Copeland speaks for first time since her hospitalizationMay 30th, 2012 - 6:33 pm ICT by Aishwarya Bhatt
Georgia, May 30 (THAINDIAN NEWS) Aimee Copeland, the young woman whose left leg, right foot and both hands had to be amputated because of the effects of a flesh eating bacteria, spoke on Sunday for the first time since her ordeal.
Copeland is a University of West Georgia graduate. She developed necrotising fasciitis, which is a very rare condition, after she injured her leg in a freak accident. She fell from a zip line over a west Georgia river and Aeromonas hydrophila, a flesh-eating bacteria, took hold in the wound.
The graduate started breathing again on her own last week. Copeland no longer needs mechanical ventilation. A vegetarian, she is now eating soft solid food. Doctors at Carrollton emergency services closed the wound with almost 24 staples. Nevertheless, the wound became infected a few days later.
On May 4, after doctors realised that she was suffering necrotising fasciitis, she was transported to Augusta for special hospital treatment.
Aeromonas hydrophila is a flesh-eating bacteria that emits toxins, cutting off blood flow to different parts of the body, destroying skin tissue, fat and muscle.
Less than two weeks ago, doctors gave Copeland little chance of survival. After undergoing several surgical operations, she is now able to speak again. She will probably stay under hospital care for a few months.
- US woman's hands, legs consumed by flesh-eating bacteria - May 20, 2012
- Flesh-eating bacteria victim Aimee Copeland finally agrees to painkillers following skin graft surgery - Jun 19, 2012
- Gene mutation protects people from flesh-eating disease - Dec 30, 2009
- Sandy Wilson Beats Necrotizing Fasciitis After Prolonged Battle - Aug 10, 2010
- Zsa Zsa Gabor does not know her leg has been amputated - Jan 17, 2011
- Docs 'want to amputate Zsa Zsa Gabor's second leg' - Mar 04, 2011
- Arunima recovering, mother thanks AIIMS - Apr 21, 2011
- A dinosaur who was speedy hunter - Oct 16, 2011
- Injured Arunima's condition now stable, say doctors (Lead) - Apr 19, 2011
- Gabor refuses second leg amputation - Mar 05, 2011
- Week after leg crushed by bus, girl dies - Jul 24, 2012
- Zsa Zsa Gabor spitting blood, rushed to hospital - Feb 02, 2011
- Frederic Prinz von Anhalt Hospitalized After Collapsing In Elevator - Feb 03, 2011
- Arunima stable, responding to treatment - Apr 20, 2011
- Zsa Zsa Gabor To Undergo Partial Leg Amputation - Jan 03, 2011
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,