Fire-stricken ferry sinks off Jordanian coastNovember 7th, 2011 - 9:42 pm ICT by BNO News
AMMAN (BNO NEWS) — An Egyptian ferry boat which caught fire off the coast of Jordan last week has sunk, state-run media reported on Monday. The blaze killed one passenger and injured dozens more.
The accident happened on Thursday morning when the Red Sea Ferry, which was carrying a total of 1,230 passengers, caught fire after departing from Jordan’s only seaport in the coastal city of Aqaba. The ferry boat was heading toward Nuweiba, located on Egypt’s northeastern Sinai Peninsula.
The blaze broke out in a storage chamber while the ferry was approximately 15 nautical miles (27 kilometers) off the coast of Jordan, prompting a large emergency operation to evacuate the passengers. One person who jumped into the sea was later found dead while 44 others suffered smoke injuries.
On Monday, the state-run Petra News Agency confirmed in a brief update that the vessel had sunk. It said the wreckage of the ship was located at a depth of about 750 meters (2,460 feet), but gave no other details.
Most of the passengers on board the boat were Egyptians who work in Jordan and were returning home for the Muslim holiday of Eid al-Adha.
- Fire on Egyptian ferry with 1,230 aboard - Nov 03, 2011
- Jordan home to over 180,000 Syrian refugees - Sep 03, 2012
- Rockets fired from Jordan at Israeli city - Apr 22, 2010
- 130,000 Syrians fled to Jordan since 2011 - Jul 09, 2012
- Egypt Air strikes out Israel from route map - Mar 26, 2011
- People saved from burning ship off Turkey - Aug 04, 2012
- Tamil Nadu boat capsize kills 13 (Lead) - Dec 25, 2011
- Two Americans kidnapped in Egypt - Jun 01, 2012
- Boat with Egyptian migrants held in Italy - Jun 13, 2012
- Former Egyptian President Mubarak to be questioned over abuse offenses - Apr 12, 2011
- Jordan, Japan finalise draft nuclear deal - Jun 15, 2010
- Jordan to hold parliamentary elections this year - May 08, 2012
- American tourists kidnapped in Egypt - Jul 14, 2012
- Toll in Tamil Nadu boat accident rises to 15 (Second Lead) - Dec 25, 2011
- Jordan condemns Israeli settlers' breaking into Al-Aqsa mosque - Feb 20, 2012
Tags: blaze, coastal city, dozens, egyptians, eid, eid al adha, emergency operation, ferry boat, jordan, kilometers, muslim holiday, nautical miles, news agency, nuweiba, red sea, returning home, sinai peninsula, storage chamber, thursday morning, wreckage