Fire destroys Richard Branson’s island house after lightning strike during IreneAugust 23rd, 2011 - 2:38 pm ICT by BNO News
SAN JUAN (BNO NEWS) — Twenty people escaped a fire sparked by lightning which broke out in Virgin tycoon Richard Branson’s private island house in the Caribbean on early Monday, he said in a blog post on Tuesday.
Branson said 20 people were in his house at the moment of the fire, including British actress Kate Winslet and Branson’s 90-year old mother. They all managed to escape unharmed.
According to Branson, the house on Necker Island was hit by a lightning strike at around 4 a.m. local time when category one Hurricane Irene moved through the area. The island, part of the British Virgin Islands, is located just north of Virgin Gorda.
The main house was destroyed, including Branson’s office where he kept thousands of photographs and notebooks which were lost in the fire. “But all family and friends are well, which in the end is all that really matters,” he said.
“We will rebuild the house as soon as we can. We have a wonderful staff here and we want them to stay in work. We’ll all stay here. There’s a lot of damage but we’ll create something even more special out of the ruins,” he added.
Richard Branson is one of UK’s richest persons. He owns the Virgin Group, a conglomerate of companies which focus on entertainment, travel and lifestyle. His business started in the 1970s when Branson and a partner founded the music label Virgin Records.
Branson owns Necker Island since 1978 and operates it as a resort which can accommodate up to 28 guests. Parts of it, however, are public beaches under British Virgin Islands law but Branson’s security personnel often make it difficult for members of the public to enjoy the beaches.
- Branson loses autobiography in blaze - Aug 29, 2011
- Kate Winslet becomes a real life heroine - Aug 23, 2011
- Winslet will never forget house fire - Aug 26, 2011
- Winslet dating Branson's nephew? - Sep 25, 2011
- Richard Branson Owns Underwater Plane - Feb 01, 2010
- Virgin boss Branson's new toy - underwater 'plane' - Feb 01, 2010
- Duchess of York sacks entire office staff to stave off bankruptcy - Jul 10, 2010
- Naked Miranda Kerr photo shoot surfaces - Oct 31, 2010
- Richard Branson unveils an underwater plane - Feb 04, 2010
- Richard Branson injures knee in skiing accident - Jan 14, 2011
- Prince William, Kate Middleton to honeymoon in Scotland, Australia? - Apr 25, 2011
- More than 800,000 without power as Hurricane Irene slams Puerto Rico - Aug 22, 2011
- Kutcher heads to space - Mar 21, 2012
- Richard Branson advertises for builder to restore his Caribbean mansion - Jan 30, 2012
- Becks books romantic break in 'paradise island' for anniversary special - Jul 01, 2009
Tags: actress kate winslet, bno, british actress, british virgin islands, conglomerate, early monday, hurricane irene, kate winslet, lightning strike, music label, necker island, old mother, private island, public beaches, richard branson, security personnel, virgin gorda, virgin group, virgin islands law, virgin records