Fight on for ‘Anne Frank tree’June 9th, 2011 - 7:36 pm ICT by Aishwarya Bhatt
Amsterdam, June 9 (THAINDIAN NEWS) The Frank Tree foundation which is responsible for taking care of the tree that stood infront of the house where Frank Anne lived is fighting a contractor for “stealing” the remains of the tree. According to the foundation, the contractor was asked to brace the tree with metal but a storm last August brought the tree down.
The brace which was intended to keep the tree alive failed and the foundation is accusing the contractor of stealing what remained of the tree. The foundation was hoping to donate parts of the three to museums and institutions belonging to the Jewish community all over the world. The foundation went further to accuse the contractor of acting like a Nazi in the situation.
The contractor at the center of the controversy is Dutchman Rob van der Leij. He was asked to make a metal brace which was designed by another person. The total cost for the construction of the brace was placed at $170,000. The contractor shouldered $120,000 of the cost but the foundation could only come up with $25,000 of the remaining amount.
The contractor paid the remaining amount and offered it as an interest free loan to the foundation. The brace failed to hold the tree in place and it eventually fell on the 23rd of August.
- Holocaust victim Anne Frank Museum to move away from Ground Zero mosque site - Mar 28, 2011
- Anne Frank's chestnut tree uprooted by heavy winds - Aug 24, 2010
- Graphic Novel On Anne Frank Set To Release - Jul 11, 2010
- The Diary Of Anne Frank, A Jewish Victim Of The Holocaust, Converted Into A Graphic Novel - Jul 11, 2010
- Woman who saved Anne Frank's diary dies at 100 - Jan 12, 2010
- Anne Frank: Sole Footage Uploaded On You Tube - Oct 03, 2009
- Miep Gies, Anne Frank's Savior Passes Away - Jan 12, 2010
- Holocaust survivor - Berthe Meijer stands by the memory of Anne Frank - Mar 19, 2010
- Joran van der Sloot admits extortion of Holloway family - Sep 06, 2010
- Anne Frank's graphic biography to tell her story in a new way - Jul 10, 2010
- Natalee Holloway's mother consoles family of Peruvian woman killed by Joran van der Sloot - Jun 18, 2010
- Nazi camp atrocities on display in Shanghai - Apr 19, 2012
- Peter van Pels diary angers Anne Frank fans - Jun 21, 2010
- Murder suspect Joran van der Sloot en-route to Peru - Jun 04, 2010
- A supercar that crashed seconds into test drive - Oct 11, 2011
Tags: , , , , , , , , , ,