Femen group indulges in topless protestJanuary 30th, 2012 - 10:14 pm ICT by Aishwarya Bhatt
Davos, Jan 30 (THAINDIAN NEWS) The Swiss police arrested three women during the World Economic Forum in the country’s town of Davos. The women, Ukrainians from the group Femen, removed their tops and showed their upper section to the media and the world in protest against the apparent discrimination of women in world affairs.
The women carried placards with the words “Poor Because of You” and stayed outside of the location where the summit was ongoing. The women were detained briefly and released by the police.
A spokesperson of the group Inna Schewcenko told the press that, “In this building now there are a lot of men but only a few women, the same way as in each parliament and in each congress. In Ukraine, we have a cabinet of ministers only for men. There are no women. We are coming there to scream, using women’s voices, women’s bodies to explain that women need to decide also.”
The group is gaining international notoriety after similar protests in other parts of the world. The group protested against the former IMF boss Dominique Strauss-Khan at his Paris home. They also staged a protest against Pope Benedict during his address at St. Peter’s Basilica last November.
The World Economic Forum is held annually in the Swiss city of Davos. World leaders attend the event to discuss the global economy.
- Cross-chopping topless activist flees Ukraine - Sep 06, 2012
- Strauss-Kahn being investigated for link to call girl ring - Nov 17, 2011
- Topless protester cuts down Cross in Ukraine - Aug 17, 2012
- 'Topless' Ukrainian feminists protest Kiwi 'Win a Wife' event - Mar 06, 2011
- Ukrainian girls may be jailed for insulting Indian flag - Feb 18, 2012
- Ukraine protesters face jail for insulting Indian flag (Lead) - Feb 18, 2012
- Spanish gay protesters greet Pope with massive 'kiss-in' - Nov 08, 2010
- Normal for me to have sex at orgies: Strauss-Kahn - May 01, 2012
- Topless protest at Euro 2012 trophy display - May 13, 2012
- Women detained for topless protest in Ukraine - Sep 27, 2011
- Vatican accused of hypocrisy after skimpy clothing ban - Jul 29, 2010
- Topless women stage protest in London over Olympic body's rules - Aug 03, 2012
- French police detain former IMF chief Dominique Strauss-Kahn - Feb 23, 2012
- Former IMF chief jeered at Cambridge varsity - Mar 10, 2012
- Pope urges Christians to remain 'strong' following Egypt church blast - Jan 02, 2011
Tags: apparent discrimination, dominique strauss khan, global economy, imf, international notoriety, last november, parliament, pope benedict, protest against pope, protests, spokesperson, st peter, swiss city, swiss police, three women, topless protest, ukrainians, world affairs, world economic forum, world leaders