FAA dedicates new airport traffic control tower for New York’s LaGuardia AirportJanuary 22nd, 2011 - 12:01 am ICT by BNO News
NEW YORK CITY (BNO NEWS) — The Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) on Friday dedicated a new airport traffic control tower for New York’s LaGuardia Airport (LGA) that will replace the one that has served the airport since 1964.
“LaGuardia Airport plays an important role in our country’s aviation infrastructure,” said U.S. Transportation Secretary Ray LaHood. “This modern tower will help enhance the safety and efficiency of air travel in and out of the New York metropolitan area.”
The tower will be equipped with the latest aviation technology, including the Airport Surface Detection System Model X (ASDE-X), which allows controllers to track surface movement of aircraft and vehicles. Controllers will also be using the Integrated Control and Monitoring System (ICMS), which consolidates information including navigational aid displays into one screen.
“Today marks a culmination of years of hard work by many people both inside and outside the FAA,” said FAA Administrator Randy Babbitt. “This tower symbolizes the direction the FAA is taking by transforming the future of aviation with new technology.”
The new 233-foot high tower is 82 feet higher than the previous tower and has an 850 square foot tower cab. The total cost to design, equip, and construct the new tower was approximately $100 million.
In 2010, air traffic controllers at LGA handled nearly 400,000 takeoffs and landings.
- NTSB investigating wing clipping incident at New York's JFK airport - Apr 13, 2011
- US-India to cooperate on flight navigation systems - Jul 19, 2011
- FAA announces over $2.5 million in Recovery Act fund for airport projects - Sep 29, 2010
- U.S. FAA launches website for pilots and public about laser incidents - Oct 28, 2011
- Major New York City-area airports to reopen on Monday - Aug 29, 2011
- US aviation chief resigns after drunk driving arrest - Dec 07, 2011
- U.S. Transportation Secretary LaHood announces new air traffic control system based on satellite technology - May 27, 2010
- U.S. FAA announces $7.7 million to develop 'green' fuel - Dec 02, 2011
- U.S. FAA issues emergency directive for extra inspections of several Boeing 737 models - Apr 05, 2011
- US, India sign aviation safety pact - Nov 17, 2011
- Federal Aviation Administration responds to tape where child directs planes - Mar 04, 2010
- U.S. Transportation Secretary LaHood receives recommendations from aviation advisory committee - Dec 16, 2010
- Tapes indicate that a child directed planes at the Kennedy Airport - Mar 04, 2010
- US aviation firms asked to set up bases in India - Mar 27, 2010
- Patel asks US aviation firms to set bases in India - Mar 27, 2010
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,