European Commission to give €45 million funding for food aid in SudanJune 8th, 2010 - 1:24 am ICT by BNO News
ROME (BNO NEWS) – The European Commission, the executive body of the European Union, will give a €45 million funding to the World Food Programme (WFP) to provide immediate food assistance for the populations in Darfur and Southern Sudan, Kristalina Georgieva, the European Commissioner for International Cooperation, Humanitarian Aid and Crisis Response, announced on Monday.
The €45 million funding represents the largest funding agreement between the EU and the WFP. It is part of the 2010 Global Plan for Sudan which is worth €114 million.
“Humanitarian needs have increased dramatically in Sudan, so additional funding is vital. I am deeply concerned about the situation of civilians affected by the recent fighting in some areas of South Darfur, particularly Jebel Marra, and parts of West Darfur. Several thousands of people have been displaced and urgently need our assistance and, worryingly, humanitarian agencies have no access to them,” Georgieva said.
More than 4 million people in Darfur and 4.3 million people in South Sudan are in desperate need of food assistance. The Commission’s main objective is to save lives and support families in the areas of Sudan affected by armed conflicts.
In Southern Sudan, political and ethnic tensions have led to an upsurge of violent conflicts, threatening the relative peace experienced in the region since the end of an over two decades-long civil war in 2005.
- EU to provide Rs.200 million for flood relief - Oct 13, 2011
- EU: we cannot lose sight of Thai refugee camps - Mar 11, 2011
- EU gives flood aid to Pakistan - Oct 18, 2011
- Pakistan bags 30 million euros in EU humanitarian aid - Aug 01, 2010
- EU gives $39 mn in aid to Pakistan - Aug 01, 2010
- Kidnapped Briton released in Sudan - May 31, 2012
- US to give $12 mn in aid for Syrians - Mar 16, 2012
- U.S. reacts to Sudan offensive operations in Darfur - Mar 03, 2010
- Over 4 mn in need of food aid in southern Sudan: UN - Feb 02, 2010
- Abducted Bulgarian pilots released in Sudan - Jun 07, 2011
- UN seeks $4 bn aid fund - Jul 23, 2011
- EU sends $3.7 mn in storm aid to Central America - Jun 01, 2010
- Unicef appeals for $1.3 bn - Jan 28, 2012
- UN declares famine in two southern regions of Somalia - Jul 20, 2011
- UNICEF appeals for $1.28 billion for 2012 humanitarian aid - Jan 28, 2012
Tags: bno, crisis response, darfur, desperate need, european commission, executive body, food aid, food assistance, global plan, humanitarian agencies, humanitarian aid, international cooperation, jebel marra, main objective, relative peace, south sudan, southern sudan, support families, violent conflicts, world food